Turtles

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking about putting a painted turtle in my pond with gold fish. Is the turtle going to eat my goldfish or are they compatible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
a few of us walk that walk; I find if you have a large enough space and few turtles + ample 'other' feed, the turtles will do fine. Now, I've tried putting adult painteds in my pond and both times they went after the fish (so, out they came) but have had great luck introducing the small turtles (2-4"). All mine were wild at one time. I think a key is to make sure they're not hungry and see your fish as 'for them'. Plus, like I said, enough room so the fish can easily escape (and they will). Not to say mine haven't taken some too slow or small but I've NEVER seen mine even go after the fish. Most of the time, I worry a koi will try to inhale a turtle head as they all scramble for the floating pellets. I actually have to throw out additional AFTER the fish have theirs, just so the turtles get some. So, large pond=no problem, small? You're taking a chance.

Btw, you WILL have to fence in the area (they can climb, too) as they won't stay unless you do.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No idea about compatibility (mine are box turtles and I don’t think they could even catch a fish), but couldn’t agree more with @brokensword about keeping them corralled in the pond enclosure! Turtles are expert escape artists — they climb and they dig, so if you want them to stay, you will have to turtle-proof/escape-proof the area. Never underestimate a determined turtle!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No idea about compatibility (mine are box turtles and I don’t think they could even catch a fish), but couldn’t agree more with @brokensword about keeping them corralled in the pond enclosure! Turtles are expert escape artists — they climb and they dig, so if you want them to stay, you will have to turtle-proof/escape-proof the area. Never underestimate a determined turtle!
spoken from the Turtle Mommy herself!!! And SHE oughta know where her kids are!!

Ask a Question