Twister seen off Plymouth Sound

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well would you believe it a twister was spotted of Plymouth sound the other day how cool is that :cool:
However they arent new to me I've seen them before back in my Naval days mostly off Florida but never in all the years I've lived with Val in Plymouth have I seen one off Plymouth thats a first :happy:
As long as they stay out to sea I'm happy with that , we just dont want them to come ashore and wreck our fair city :(

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/VID...aptured-film/story-23056176-detail/story.html

And then there was a later report in the Herald could it have been a twister that wrecks summer house "oh er" :eek: :-

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Did...summer-house/story-23083548-detail/story.html

Oh dear global warming or what :confused:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Going off last winter that doesnt appear to be the case anymore it seems and apparently we are in for another round of bad storms , its all down to the melting of the icecaps in the Arctic cooling the northern waters which is displacing the Jet stream

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The whole worlds weather is changing due to melting ice caps. I hope you don't get hit like before Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Same here addy we had a really rough time of it last winter , I know they are talking blizzards and freezing temperatures in November for the UK again due to the Jet stream being in the wrong place , on a plus though we are going to get warm summers

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That funnel looks scary but also so cool at the same time. The damage they can do is not something I would want to see around here. We have had little ones shown on the news here in our area but nothing big like that one :eek:
We are having a torrential downpour right now w/thunder and lightning!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That funnel looks scary but also so cool at the same time. The damage they can do is not something I would want to see around here. We have had little ones shown on the news here in our area but nothing big like that one :eek:
We are having a torrential downpour right now w/thunder and lightning!
We got that last night j.w. even had to turn off the PC for fear of lightening strikes as it broke right over the top of us with no seconds count between boom and flash , the last time that happened the woods just down from us took a hit .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They must be so scary to be in, never seen one in real life nor do I want to

My Aircraft Carrier HMS Ark Royal got caught in a hurricane in 1976 off of the US by the time it had stopped mauling us we had nearly all the fans onboard supplying bellow decks etc were burned out we lost all the life raft pods down the starboard side and some from our port side our seaboat had a 16 ft hole in it our 32 ft pinnace boat broke its back when a 2 ton coil of wire broke free., we had damage to the Quaterdeck and forcastle, personel injured with broken bones cuts etc.
There was damaged gear throughout between decks the ship of any thing that wasnt strapped down or when the straps holding them parted but worst of all both our steam catapults were damaged so severely that we limped into Norfolk Virginia US Naval base for three weeks of repair ,we even had flooding in some areas and thats an aircraft carrier just over half the size of your USS Nimitz
I was on duty in our Damage Control HQ and had to mark down all the reports of damage on a map deck by deck of the ship we used for damage control and fire fighting purposes , even on a ship that size I would't like to be in another.

See photo of the two carriers in Norfolk Virginia side by side for comparison

58806_10151354838542681_543735436_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My Aircraft Carrier HMS Ark Royal got caught in a hurricane in 1976 off of the US by the time it had stopped mauling us we had nearly all the fans onboard supplying bellow decks etc were burned out we lost all the life raft pods down the starboard side and some from our port side our seaboat had a 16 ft hole in it our 32 ft pinnace boat broke its back when a 2 ton coil of wire broke free., we had damage to the Quaterdeck and forcastle, injuries damaged gear inside the ship that wasnt strapped down or when the straps holding them parted but worst of all both our steam catapults were damaged so severely that we limped into Norfolk Virginia US Naval base for three weeks of repair and thats an aircraft carrier just over half the size of your USS Nimitz
See photo of the two carriers in Norfolk Virginia side by side for comparison

View attachment 76354
Wow, what a storm to that much damage to that ship. Must of been unnerving

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, what a storm to that much damage to that ship. Must of been unnerving
I was editing and addng what else I could remember about it, plus giving my feeling to the post when you quoted me RobAmy lol
It was the Royal Navys largest ship at 50,786 tons fully stored and loaded and 845 ft long with 2,700 personel

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question