two fish dead rest not well

Reaction score
I have quite a large pond with the following, 1 x koi, 2 x ghost koi,2x comets 3 x blue orfe 4 x red goldfish and 4 x shubunkins.

a few days ago I noticed they have stopped eating and this morning I found one shubunkin dead and later on a comet died, I noticed the uv bulb in the filter needs replacing and the water was very green, there was also a large amount of uneaten food on the bottom, any ideas what's happening?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Timber, test your water, check ammonia etc. You might be over feeding with the large amount of uneaten food, which could spoil the water. Test your water, post the results, that will help us help you. The other thing you could do right away is to remove as much of the food as possible, (via a net, vacuum whatever way you have available) I would also do a partial water change.

The green water won't kill them, lack of o2 and bad water will.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
timber said:
there was also a large amount of uneaten food on the bottom, any ideas what's happening?
Overfeeding. 80% water change is quite a lot and could be a shock to the system. Please let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Wow, 80% water change with no testing. Kind of like shooting gun without knowing which end the bullet comes out of.

Reaction score
With an 80% water change, doing tests NOW wont be a huge help ... not a lot of info here to work with ... green water in a fairly large pond and can SEE food on the bottom ... sounds like it is likely a SMALL pond, over stocked, and out of control ... WBs response wasnt exactly helpful ,,, Hopefully Timber will continue to post so help can be offered...

Reaction score
Not helpful?

There are dozens and dozens of threads here and in many other forums that start with almost the exact same question. If fish are dying right now and OP actually wants to try and improve odds, I don't think waiting around here for hours or days for the exact same posts to be repeated again. By this time OP could have already read all about many possible causes, things to check.

What's the goal here? Help OP save their fish or just provide some people a chance to write posts? When fish are dying time is of the essence.

I have a different opinion. I think stringing the OP along for a few days repeating the same info that's already available is is beyond not helpful.

If the OP isn't willing to do a few hours of reading the next best thing they could do is nothing. Fish have a much better chance of living if they don't have to struggle through 80% water changes and the dozens of other "cures" that they will be provided. These "cures" are the surest way to kill your fish. These things are dangerous even with testing.

Reaction score
While your frustration IS understandable, being gruff is of no help ... Sure, all the basics are contained within the forum, but if they miss it, or want to ask directly, isnt it up to others to decide if they want to respond or not? Instead of being rude, you could simply choose to ignore these types of questions. You have a lot of knowledge to share, but patience is not your strong point.

Reaction score
capewind said:
While your frustration IS understandable, being gruff is of no help ... Sure, all the basics are contained within the forum, but if they miss it, or want to ask directly, isnt it up to others to decide if they want to respond or not? Instead of being rude, you could simply choose to ignore these types of questions. You have a lot of knowledge to share, but patience is not your strong point.
Frustration? Who said I was frustrated? Been answering these same questions in pond forums for 20 years. It's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. If they don't want to do some reading and maybe save their fish that's their business.

Who said others couldn't respond? Pretty sure I'm the only one being pressured to shut up. My suggestion to the OP was to not wait around for answers when the answers are already available, just waiting to be read. The OP doesn't have to take the advice. They can play 20 questions if they're posting because they're bored and just want to chat. Super, they're in the right spot. The fish can continue to die in the mean time.

What exactly is the goal here? Patience? Save these fish? Or just stroke egos?

The hypocrisy here is really a bit much some times.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Waterbug said:
Frustration? Who said I was frustrated? Been answering these same questions in pond forums for 20 years. It's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. If they don't want to do some reading and maybe save their fish that's their business.

Who said others couldn't respond? Pretty sure I'm the only one being pressured to shut up. My suggestion to the OP was to not wait around for answers when the answers are already available, just waiting to be read. The OP doesn't have to take the advice. They can play 20 questions if they're posting because they're bored and just want to chat. Super, they're in the right spot. The fish can continue to die in the mean time.

What exactly is the goal here? Patience? Save these fish? Or just stroke egos?

The hypocrisy here is really a bit much some times.
WB, some of your posts are really great and I've learned a lot from them. I particularly liked the one with pictures where you explained that the number of fish that can be kept in a pond is not something you can find on a chart. This one, well, let me just summarize this one:

Timber: I have this problem...
WB: Google it.
JH: Not helpful.
Capewind: Frustrated?
WB: Hypocrite!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
WB, some of your posts are really great and I've learned a lot from them. I particularly liked the one with pictures where you explained that the number of fish that can be kept in a pond is not something you can find on a chart. This one, well, let me just summarize this one:

Timber: I have this problem...
WB: Google it.
JH: Not helpful.
Capewind: Frustrated?
WB: Hypocrite!
WB yet again your shear arrogance to this person astounds me ,
This person has asked for our help and what do you do.....you slate them belittle them and are generally darn right unhelpful and rude to the person asking for help.
Novice fishkeepers arent sold books when they first start in the hobby nor do they know what questions to ask .
Thankfully not all folks on this site have your issues whatever they are but dont you think its time you took care of your own, rather than take things out on others ?
The only ego that seems to get stoked every time you are rude and unhelpful like this is your own and that you ean get away with it because people let you do........

Timber welcome to the forum please forgive this and stay with us so that you can learn from your mistakes and turn our beautiful hobby into a hobby that you will understand and that once you do will last you a life time .
Do you have any test kits if not you'll need to buy either an API pond test kit or a Tetra pond test kit , we'll need to know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, Kh, Gh
You'll need to put into place a maintenance routine for your pond your filter your U/V-C bulb needs replacing soonest andweekly water changes must be put into place.
Dont Google it as WB so rudely said buy books on your hobby and read them in particular books on fish health matters/
Dont be afraid to ask questions of people even though you did get a frosty welcome there are folks willing to help and not slag you off as has been done.
By the way where in gods country do you come from ?

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question