Two new fish (Watonai) ordered and on the way!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I finally decided to order some fish from Raingarden [out of Hawaii]. I've heard nothing but positive things about their fish -- but they are expensive, not even counting the shipping costs.

Watonai are hard to find, and where I am, mail order is about the only way to get any. I got some last year from Koi To The world, and they are pretty fish, but now that I know a little more, I can see many "faults" with their conformation [and a couple of things that ordinarily would have made for culls].

Anyway, Raingarden not only shows multiple pics of each fish, and gives the gender, but they have a little video as well. Watching the video is what really convinced me to go with the 2 I chose as there wasn't anything too spectacular to note in the still pics. And these 2 are females which I wanted!

They will be prepped for shipping and will ship out of Hawaii on Wed., so I should get them FEDEX on Friday -- Good Friday! Now I've got to do some work on my QT and get it cleaned up and ready. Can you tell I'm excited?

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I finally decided to order some fish from Raingarden [out of Hawaii]. I've heard nothing but positive things about their fish -- but they are expensive, not even counting the shipping costs.

Watonai are hard to find, and where I am, mail order is about the only way to get any. I got some last year from Koi To The world, and they are pretty fish, but now that I know a little more, I can see many "faults" with their conformation [and a couple of things that ordinarily would have made for culls].

Anyway, Raingarden not only shows multiple pics of each fish, and gives the gender, but they have a little video as well. Watching the video is what really convinced me to go with the 2 I chose as there wasn't anything too spectacular to note in the still pics. And these 2 are females which I wanted!

They will be prepped for shipping and will ship out of Hawaii on Wed., so I should get them FEDEX on Friday -- Good Friday! Now I've got to do some work on my QT and get it cleaned up and ready. Can you tell I'm excited?

View attachment 79366
Make sure you QT them well Maggie 8 weeks seeing as they are coming in from another country .
Otherwise as you normally would look after them , then put them in with your main population , are you showing these guys later on this year ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
How fun for you! They are both very cute :)

I have been watching the goldfish auction from DandyOrandas every weekend. Nice fish (and some very unusual) but for the most part expensive (especially with shipping) My husband would have my head if I spent $100 on upwards to almost $300 on a fish :dead: I did notice this past weekend though he had several fish that were $50-$75 dollar range (plus shipping) of course I like all the ones that cost more :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good luck with your Watonais. I bought two a few years ago from Rain Garden and the following spring I had a rough patch in my pond and several fish didn't make it. including them.They are very pretty fish but definitely a little slower swimmers than comets and shubunkins.Try taking some pictures while they are still in their bags!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, they arrived Friday -- a little larger fish than I was expecting, LOL! They are still adjusting to the QT [and our sudden drop in temp here!!]. I went out to give them a little food -- trying to hand feed them so they'll get used to me -- this morning and for the first time they responded to my hand in the tank rather than by hiding.

Sorry, but no pics yet. I tried to get some when they were still in the bags, but the bags weren't quite clear enough -- I guess a thicker plastic, maybe. Then, of course, after they were in the QT, they went into hiding.

They are beautiful fish. They carry their flowy tails so nice!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I actually did take a few pictures, though they aren't very good ones. This was just after they went into the QT.

As a size comparison, I would say to look at that piece of PVC pipe -- but darn, I can't recall if it's a 2" or 3" fitting, and that would make a difference! The larger fish is the most shy -- she's the "solid" colored one. She was measured at 6.2" [body] and 10.9" [total]. The bi-colored one was 4.6"/8" -- she shows her tail off better in these shots.

That's the big one on the right, and the smaller one [partially obscured] on the left.
image.jpg

Another shot of the smaller, but still 8" long, fish.
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I must have missed this when you posted it. How are they doing now?

Can't wait to see more pictures :)
So far, so good! I feed them lightly once a day 'cause I want them to get used to me and associate me with food & safety.

Smaller one will come out and swim around like it's getting more and more comfortable. The larger one still mostly hides, but has come out a few times while I've been there, and yesterday she did go to the top to grab a bite -- then swooped back into her "cave" [cave is a 4" PVC T that is covered with landscape fabric]. So, progress :) And BTW, the PVC T that is in the pics is NOT the one I'm talking about. I don't think that this larger fish would fit into this smaller T, LOL!

And today marks the end of the 1st week of QT!

Ask a Question