Two plant questions

Reaction score
I have a small 50 gallon pond with a waterfall stream, as indicated in my siggy. I am having a tough time finding bags to plant my plants in, as the pots I am finding both in stores and online for transplating my water iris's and some marginals are just way too big. The bags are also way too big. There has to be a way to make a bag for a plant that is cheap and will be the right size. I am just not sure what the best material is that will hold up adequately. Any suggestions for a homemade plant bag that is pretty small? I want it to be bigger than the stock planter they came in, but not too big to take up a lot of pond room and soft to keep the very vigorous fishies i have from knocking chunks out of their scales. I cant plant directly into gravel because that would involve a fairly high level of gravel in the bottom which would take up too much swim space in my plant shelf/ledge.

My second question is about water hyacinths. I have always had good luck with them and they spread so fast. The ones i have had for two months are not really spreading. They look very healthy, but they are not multiplying like i've seen in my past experience. Any clues as to what this pond might have, or not have, that they dont like that might be impeding growth? Like i said they look great, very healthy, but not any hint of new offshoots. I've even had them flourish and spread in small whiskey barrel ponds, so i dont think size is an issue, unless the depth is not great enough.

All suggestions welcome! Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't put dirt in my ponds but if I was to use a bag for that purpose, I would use a gunny sack. Too bad you are not near me, I have coffee bean bags on Craigs List that are perfect for this.

Attachments

• CoffeeBean Bag.JPG
    CoffeeBean Bag.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 286
Reaction score
Thanks DrDave.

So do you just forego the soil and plant directly in the gravel? I was thinking about washing the roots on my plants clean and planting directly into a bag of pea gravel to avoid the dirt sediment that will ooze out.

would like to plant directly into gravel but as mentioned, pond just isn't big enough to make a gravel layer deep enough.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No No No.... Never put gravel rocks or dirt on the pond bottom. It will become a cesspool and you cannot keep it clean. I use pea gravel in containers for plants that require containment. It holds the plant securly and the roots can easily get their nutrition from the water.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes forego the soil ..i wash ALL soil, clay, etc out of the roots and plant in peagravel with some larger stones on top to deter the fish from digging!

Reaction score
DrDave said:
No No No.... Never put gravel rocks or dirt on the pond bottom. It will become a cesspool and you cannot keep it clean.

Hi DrDave,

I wasn't aware that you should not put gravel on the pond bottom. Should I take out the gravel I put in? Do you just leave the bottom as bare liner?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for ease of maintainence and overall pond cleanliness and health...stone of any size on the bottom or floor of the pondis discouraged. fish poop, dead plant matter accumukates in between and under the stone. the anaerobic bacteria that lives in these conditions and breaks down this matter releases hydrgen sulfide gases into the water. contributing to poor water quality and can make your pond stink. if your set on keeping stone on the bottom of your pond, make sure to have a good strong bottom current to minimize the effects.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Topper;45623 There has to be a way to make a bag for a plant that is cheap and will be the right size. [/QUOTE said:
I have used the plastic hardware cloth and the bird netting they sale at home depot with zip ties to make bags to the size I need. I have also used the nylon replacement screening they sale for making replacement door screens. All work well. For more strength use the hard ware cloth and if you pea gravel for the plant is small enough to fall out line with the door screening. Zip tie and you have a bag made to size.

Ask a Question