Two pumps in skimmer box

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to have one pump in my skimmer box, but with the renovation I added a waterfall and upgraded to a larger skimmer to accommodate a second pump.
All seemed well until yesterday when the breacker kept tripping.
After trying several different things, we figured it was one of the 2 pumps gone bad, so now only one is running
My question is: Is it ok to have 2 pumps back to back? Performance was fine, but I don't want to set up a new pump, if it's going to go bad in a short time, because of a faulty setup

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It is most likely the circuit, rather than the pump.

You're drawing too many amps for the breaker, IMO.

As an experiment, use a heavy gauge extension cord for one of the pumps and plug it in somewhere else (not on the same circuit as skimmer pump #1). If they both run flawlessly, then you'll know that you've simply overloaded the circuit and can re-route one of the two pumps permanently, or upgrade the circuit (by licensed electrician if you value your home insurance requirements).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We tried that, and then we tried a single pump at a time, the first one (alone) tripped the breaker and the second one is still running fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had to move one of my pumps out of the skimmer, as it moved the water too fast by my UV light ( which is in the skimmer ) and created a vacuum , of sorts.

That doesn't sound like your problem though, yours sounds more electrical.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The breaker may not be big enough to handle the load and a higher amp breaker may need to be put in if you have enough main power coming in .Does that pump have a warranty

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used to have one pump in my skimmer box, but with the renovation I added a waterfall and upgraded to a larger skimmer to accommodate a second pump.
All seemed well until yesterday when the breacker kept tripping.
After trying several different things, we figured it was one of the 2 pumps gone bad, so now only one is running
My question is: Is it ok to have 2 pumps back to back? Performance was fine, but I don't want to set up a new pump, if it's going to go bad in a short time, because of a faulty setup

Obviously from your test, one pump is seeing a ground. I've never heard of running 2 in one skimmer rather than a larger flow capacity in gph.
One thing if you have the outlets is, run one on one circuit and one on another. I have 2 GFI circuits and one pump runs on one, the bio filter off another and each of my 2 UV's are also setup like that. If I'm away and one should trip due to a fault, something is always working. Otherwise why not just one large pump?

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Pumps go bad, I had one do the same thing, after replacing it problem solved.
Now's your chance to go Big!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

I had the same thing. Pump worked beautifully out of skimmer and wouldn't trip the GFI. In the Savio, tripped every time. My current skimmer pump is going since 2012 ... Always have spares though. I have 2 UV's. One is the Uvinex in the Savio. Same thing! It was the bulb which had a slight crack. They work great but don't last .... don't recommend the Uvinex ... Bulbs are ridiculously priced.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
going to shop for a new one, tomorrow!

I had the same thing. Pump worked beautifully out of skimmer and wouldn't trip the GFI. In the Savio, tripped every time. My current skimmer pump is going since 2012 ... Always have spares though. I have 2 UV's. One is the Uvinex in the Savio. Same thing! It was the bulb which had a slight crack. They work great but don't last .... don't recommend the Uvinex ... Bulbs are ridiculously priced.
You have 2 pumps in the same skimmer box, like I do?
Do you leave the UV light always on?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
going to shop for a new one, tomorrow!

You have 2 pumps in the same skimmer box, like I do?
Do you leave the UV light always on?

@Gemma ... Hi Gemma ... Were you asking me if I have 2 pumps in the one skimmer box? If that was addressed to me, no, I have one. I have 2 UV's, one outside inline where my bio-filter returns to the falls and one Uvinex in the Savio skimmer. I leave them on from April through November 24/7. Then I remove both when the real cold hits. I meant I have had the same problems as you and most others with GFI circuits tripping from faulty pumps or UV's. As said, I have 2 GFI circuits.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma ... Hi Gemma ... Were you asking me if I have 2 pumps in the one skimmer box? If that was addressed to me, no, I have one. I have 2 UV's, one outside inline where my bio-filter returns to the falls and one Uvinex in the Savio skimmer. I leave them on from April through November 24/7. Then I remove both when the real cold hits. I meant I have had the same problems as you and most others with GFI circuits tripping from faulty pumps or UV's. As said, I have 2 GFI circuits.

Hi barryian.... Yes that's what I was asking you! I'm pretty sure one of the 2 pumps is bad and that's why the GFI was tripping, what I'm trying to figure out now, is if the pump went bad cause that's what pumps do in time, or if having two pumps in the same skimmer caused one of them to overwork until it went bad

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you checked the power cord for nicks or dried out exposed power cord .The covering on them can become damaged real easy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Obviously a faulty pump as the use of two (2) pumps in a skimmer is indicated in certain installations. The skimmer, however, must be large enough to handle the total flow rate generated by both pumps. What is the total gph and what is the size of the skimmer weir opening?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I believe the Skimmer opening is 14", but I have no idea about the pumps, I'll have to check

Ask a Question