Two questions about spring and new ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two questions about spring and ponds. First, as my water temperature is now above 50 daily and I am getting 12 hours of daylight when to t switch from winter food to summer food? Second I live in area where the pollen is extremely extremely heavy. What affect or what should I do about my pond water. I have an 800 gallon above ground pond, This is my first spring with the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use an all season food, so I don't have to switch, but I believe that the bags of food will give recommendations as to the appropriate water temp each should be fed at.

The biggest problem I have regarding pollen is when the Oak trees start dumping & turn my water a lovely shade of brown. Activated carbon helps some, but unless it's really bad (or I'm impatient) I just let nature take its course & after a few good rains it all clears up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you don't have a skimmer and you have a small pond i would take a bucket when the pollen is sitting on the surface and push the bucket down until water runs over the top and skims the surface. as an aid

Ask a Question