Two questions - lilies and fertilizer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey guys! Our temps are rising and things are really starting to grow!

I have a question about lily placement. Before planting, I read that water lilies grow horizontally and over to the side, so be sure to put the bulb up next to the side of the pot. It should spread out and grow to pop up in the soil out towards the middle over time. Well. I did that with some lilies that were given to me. They are healthy and have beautiful dark green mottled leaves and really nice pink flowers. But this is their second year of growth and there is no sign of new shoots coming up in the pot. In fact, the entire growing plant looks really crowded up against the side of the pot. There are a bunch of stems coming up and out of that one side - all squished up against the edge. Did I somehow plant it incorrectly? Will I need to pull the pot up and move it eventually?

Next question: Is there a guideline for when to begin fertilizing our pond plants? Any time after they begin actively growing?

Thanks, everyone!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I suspect that you made the same “mistake” that I keep making..... There is one end that is the growing end. From my understanding, that’s the end that should face the middle....so that the plant can grow TOWARD the middle. Well, every single time repot mine, I get those ends mixed up and I put the growth end against the sidewall, instead of the other way around. I can’t find the picture I took a few years ago, but have one lily in particular that looks like the mutant child of the swamp monster! It grows out and over the side of the pot....every time....because I plant it backwards, LOL!

Tomorrow is the day I have designated as fix-the-lilies day for this season, so let’s see if I can get it right this time!

Found the picture, but looking at it now, it doesn’t look as grotesque as I recall. But it’s still obvious that I don’t know how to plant a lily, LOL!
6E311527-EE26-4639-BD48-4010B2F75DB1.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I groomed mine in the fall added 1/4 cup of granular fertilizer, During the summer I randomly add tabs, if I think of it.
They do pretty good without additional fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I divided plants I plant cut Side against the pot with the crown toward the center. Some times it grows towards the cent sometimes it doesn’t.I use granular when I replant then tabs ever other week after each plant has a few pads on the surface. I stop when the stop getting new growth in the fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I suspect that you made the same “mistake” that I keep making..... There is one end that is the growing end. From my understanding, that’s the end that should face the middle....so that the plant can grow TOWARD the middle. Well, every single time repot mine, I get those ends mixed up and I put the growth end against the sidewall, instead of the other way around. I can’t find the picture I took a few years ago, but have one lily in particular that looks like the mutant child of the swamp monster! It grows out and over the side of the pot....every time....because I plant it backwards, LOL!

Tomorrow is the day I have designated as fix-the-lilies day for this season, so let’s see if I can get it right this time!

Found the picture, but looking at it now, it doesn’t look as grotesque as I recall. But it’s still obvious that I don’t know how to plant a lily, LOL!
View attachment 109698
Looks to me that you now have like you now have 2 crowns divide and have two plants

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks to me that you now have like you now have 2 crowns divide and have two plants
Yep! Actually, that picture is about a year and a half old, but the plant looks like that again, LOL! I was going to work on them this past weekend, but we had a cold front come through, so no getting in the water for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yep! Actually, that picture is about a year and a half old, but the plant looks like that again, LOL! I was going to work on them this past weekend, but we had a cold front come through, so no getting in the water for me!
Been in the pond one day already 50 degree day.going to wait till next we to do it again.waterfall rebuild and planting new lotus if it comes as planned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I groomed mine in the fall added 1/4 cup of granular fertilizer, During the summer I randomly add tabs, if I think of it.
They do pretty good without additional fertilizer.
Have you ever used cat litter instep of yard clay afraid of excess chemicals in my soil from run off from people next door

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use Safe T Sorb from tractor supply (link). It is just a fired clay like cat litter but at $6 for 40lbs it is the cheapest media I have found. Been using in for nearly a decade in my aquariums (same batch continuously submerged) and a few years in my pond.

I fertilizer my lilies when I re-pot them and honestly that is it. They grow out of control but I think they do start to die back earlier than they would if I fertilized.

When planting face the growing point towards the middle and at a slightly upward angle. Just look for the direction the newest leaves seem to be coming from and point that towards the middle. I always have to cut off a bunch of old growth every year and I butt that cut part right up the the container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use Safe T Sorb from tractor supply (link). It is just a fired clay like cat litter but at $6 for 40lbs it is the cheapest media I have found. Been using in for nearly a decade in my aquariums (same batch continuously submerged) and a few years in my pond.

I fertilizer my lilies when I re-pot them and honestly that is it. They grow out of control but I think they do start to die back earlier than they would if I fertilized.

When planting face the growing point towards the middle and at a slightly upward angle. Just look for the direction the newest leaves seem to be coming from and point that towards the middle. I always have to cut off a bunch of old growth every year and I butt that cut part right up the the container.
Thanks for the info on Safe T Sorb was thinking about trying the brand StayDry cause we get it cheap at work but if you have used Safe T Sob safety in your pond that is better than trying an unknown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Can't find anything on StayDry but I do use Oil-Dri in my aquariums too. It's a spill absorbent, again just fired clay. But I have heard of people having issues with it turning to mush but in a lily pot I don't think that be a problem even, especially if capped well. It is also not as readily available but a darker color which I prefer in an aquarium.

If you know the MSDS and it doesn't have an additives you could always test some out in a smaller container first. Just FYI, I am not so adventurous myself and would use tested products (everything I suggested has been used in the aquarium hobby for a long time). At the price point I don't see a need to experiment further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can't find anything on StayDry but I do use Oil-Dri in my aquariums too. It's a spill absorbent, again just fired clay. But I have heard of people having issues with it turning to mush but in a lily pot I don't think that be a problem even, especially if capped well. It is also not as readily available but a darker color which I prefer in an aquarium.

If you know the MSDS and it doesn't have an additives you could always test some out in a smaller container first. Just FYI, I am not so adventurous myself and would use tested products (everything I suggested has been used in the aquarium hobby for a long time). At the price point I don't see a need to experiment further.
I'm not going to experiment. I have gotten enough tested ideas that I can use with out taking any risk. Thanks everyone for the safe products.

Ask a Question