Type of Flagstone for Waterfall?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I stopped by a Landscaping place today and he was saying I may have to be careful with the type of Flagstone I use in my Waterfall, some will raise the PH. any suggestions for ROCK for my waterfall?

How much do I need if I have 3 levels to it about 5 feet long each.

Thank you,

Shane

Reaction score
Google "pond pH buffering" to see if you would consider the higher pH a good thing or a bad thing. Some people, including myself, think it's a good thing especially for inexperienced pond keepers. Some people think it's a bad thing.

I don't think limestone (I assume given the warning given) is a very good pH buffer, but better than nothing.

The bigger issue imo is that if a stone can give up enough lime to raise pH very much means the stone is dissolving. Wouldn't be good if your waterfall dissolved in a year or two. The test I use is to see if I can scratch it with a fingernail. If yes it's too soft for use in water.

The stone seller can tell you an estimate of how much stone you'll need. It depends on the stone.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I pretty much agree. If you scrape the flagstone with a harder rock and it turns to sand. I would stay away from. For waterfalls I prefer what is being sold in our area as waterfall rock. It's harder, good saize flat stone that breaks fairly easy for shaping bit doesn't grit away into sand. Plus here it's cheaper than flag stone. I just built my waterfall and it took aprox. 1 full pallet. But I used assorted types in the build of this one. Your welcome to take a look at my show case thread and wee both my falls. The one over the lily pond took about 1/2 to 3/4 of a pallet, The one over the Koi pond about a Pallet and about 200 pounds of river pebble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have limestone on the edge of my pond and layers are coming off. I wouldn't knowingly put limestone in the waterfall. You can use slate or granite. I recently used a granite called aquablue granite. If you are in Chicago you might want to check out Lurvey's. They have a nice selection of rock and can probably point you in the right direction what to buy and how much because they also have a nice pond supply section. I bought 170 lbs of granite to prop up my waterfall and it cost me around $35.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I got some flag stone for my water fall, should I test the water with waterfall off for 1 day and then with it Running to see what the stone is doing to my Pond?

Troy2012081200101-vi.jpg

Ask a Question