Types of fish for my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi this is my first post, i found this website after searching for an answer to my question for quite a while.
I am almost done digging my first pond. It is in an irregular shape, like a large U shape. According to online pond volume calculators it is about 380 gallons. I plant to put 16 mil thick tarps down and set up a 4000 gallon canister filter with a UV sterilizer on it.

I don't have a heater as it is currently summer here with highs of 108 degrees Fahrenheit. The winters stay in the 40 degree range and sometimes drop to 27 at the lowest.

The pond is 22 inches deep.

What i am wondering is what else besides goldfish and koi can i put in my pond? Thanks!!!

p.s. i have goldfish in my aquarium and love them, i am just wondering what else i can keep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wouldn't wat to throw a damp towel on your plans but a pond 22 inches deep is not a pond for Koi. For Koi you really want something 1m deep - and in truth even a stocked goldfish pond maybe tricky at 22 inches. Before making any decisions I'd have a look at the ponds here - one very common thing is that everyone always wants deeper and bigger after the first time, and maybe you'll save yourself a fair amount of hassle by going deeper in the first place :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! You pond would be way to small for koi. They are fussy huge poop machines that like a lot of water and filtration. And pretty.
You would be best to stick with goldfish which are just as pretty, not as fussy about water they live in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is my first post, i found this website after searching for an answer to my question for quite a while.
I am almost done digging my first pond. It is in an irregular shape, like a large U shape. According to online pond volume calculators it is about 380 gallons. I plant to put 16 mil thick tarps down and set up a 4000 gallon canister filter with a UV sterilizer on it.

I don't have a heater as it is currently summer here with highs of 108 degrees Fahrenheit. The winters stay in the 40 degree range and sometimes drop to 27 at the lowest.

The pond is 22 inches deep.

What i am wondering is what else besides goldfish and koi can i put in my pond? Thanks!!!

p.s. i have goldfish in my aquarium and love them, i am just wondering what else i can keep.
Thinking of alternate fish in your pond well in amswer to that you can keep things like golden orfe, blue orfe, tench. , rudd etc

Hello,

I wouldn't wat to throw a damp towel on your plans but a pond 22 inches deep is not a pond for Koi. For Koi you really want something 1m deep - and in truth even a stocked goldfish pond maybe tricky at 22 inches. Before making any decisions I'd have a look at the ponds here - one very common thing is that everyone always wants deeper and bigger after the first time, and maybe you'll save yourself a fair amount of hassle by going deeper in the first place :)

Our own koi pond is on the bare minimum of the depth for koi carp is 4.5ft especially if you get extremes of temperature like you do chaise so Johna is indeed correct in what he is saying .
Think in the summer the heat you get then the winter cooling is there anyway you did as we did and that was to insulate our pond its surrounds , filterhousing using recycled roof insultation the net result with the polycarbonate covering for the pond leaves us with an over all winter teperature of 7c or in your messurement 40f
The walls of the free standing pond and filter housing are covered inside with 22mm polystyrene sheets.
To get your measurments of gallonage US in your pond [this is needed should you ever have to treat them] , why not invest in a water meter .

Hope both Johna and ourselves have been of help.

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking of alternate fish in your pond well in amswer to that you can keep things like golden orfe, blue orfe, tench. , rudd etc

Our own koi pond is on the bare minimum of the depth for koi carp is 4.5ft especially if you get extremes of temperature like you do chaise so Johna is indeed correct in what he is saying .
Think in the summer the heat you get then the winter cooling is there anyway you did as we did and that was to insulate our pond its surrounds , filterhousing using recycled roof insultation the net result with the polycarbonate covering for the pond leaves us with an over all winter teperature of 7c or in your messurement 40f
The walls of the free standing pond and filter housing are covered inside with 22mm polystyrene sheets.
To get your measurments of gallonage US in your pond [this is needed should you ever have to treat them] , why not invest in a water meter .

Hope both Johna and ourselves have been of help.

Dave

Thanks for the reply everyone.To clarify i am not sure i even want koi, i was curious to see the other types of fish i could own.
Thanks for the other suggestions i will look into those fish, in addition i have found a heater that goes up to 400 gallons so i think i will use that come winter, as the water never freezes here. Do you tink that would work in a similar way your insulation does?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I have koi and they get big fast and no matter what with those summer temps you will need deeper or you will cook your fish .I find also koi like cooler water .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You do not need heather for your pond if you have goldfish. Only make sure that the water not freeze over, or if it does, make sure there's a hole (use air pump). My first pond wass about that deep, I never had a problem with water freeze too deep. I only keep goldfish.

There are many type of goldfish. The hardy and famous ones are Sarasa (the orange (or red) and white), Shubunkin (3 colors), Watonai (long flowy fantail), and wakin (same as Watonai but short tail). Those are very pretty and hardy. They dont get to be too big.

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI everyone thanks for all the speedy and thoughtful replies!!
i did mean to say around 380 gallons.
Do you think my set up could work if i dug half of the pond to four feet. While the other half is 22 inches?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i think you should dig a little deeper if you could. You are in a warmer climate you don't need to go 4' unless you want koi and if that so you will need at least 1000 gallon for a koi.

I just realized I didn't have the depth as I thought too (don't know what's wrong yet) so I have a lot less water then I thought but my pond is wide and I only keep goldfish so I'm not worried. My new pond is still deeper than my old pond anyway :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply everyone.To clarify i am not sure i even want koi, i was curious to see the other types of fish i could own.
Thanks for the other suggestions i will look into those fish, in addition i have found a heater that goes up to 400 gallons so i think i will use that come winter, as the water never freezes here. Do you tink that would work in a similar way your insulation does?
The question you then have to ask is this heater man eough to take my fish through the worst winter can throw at you ?

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use a heater, just the pond breathers, zone 6b, we had almost 18 inches of ice on the ponds last winter, the fish did just fine...........no koi

Ask a Question