Types of pumps

Reaction score
What are the types and benefits of the different types of pumps? I am not sure what a "beckett" pump is but they are much cheaper than say a savio pump rated at the same GPH. I know I want around 5000 GPH. I would like it to be a submersible pump so I can just throw it in the skimmer, but I am open to other options. Thanx.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You must have one heck of a skimmer if you plan on a 5000 GPH pump. Remember, this pump that feeds the bio filter has to run 24/7. I don't know how big your pond is but a Beckett W1150 from Home Depot is all you need for the bio filter.

Reaction score
When evaluating the pump cost, don't forget to factor in the electricity it will use. Sometimes a more expensive pump will be much cheaper in the long run because it is more efficient.

Solids-capable submersibles won't jam if something gets past your prefilter. They can even be run without a filter if you really need to. However, they use more electricity for the head and flow they deliver.

Ask a Question