UGHH Green water coming back

Reaction score
Hi everyone kinda new to the forum (Hard to get on computer between my kids and the wife) So I haven't posted much. Gonna have to spring for another laptop and keep it in my cave. Anyways I've had a pond for the last 8 yrs small though maybe 350 gals. Had great water, w/ two mini-me bio filters. Ph,alk.,etc.. levels were always perfect. Very easy to maintain. Now here's the kicker we moved kept the same fish but now the pond is 2500 gals. Had the the 2 mini-me filters running but the pond started to go green. Went to Tractor supply and purchased a 100 gal stock tank and did the same bio set up. The pond started to clear up. It cleared to the point where I could see the pump thru a little cloudy water not so much green kinda beige or tannish. I think that came from the rain and some run off from near by soil. The pond kept on clearing up steadily for approx.3 weeks. Then recently it started to go green. I know not to go the chemical way. Should I piggy back another 100 gal stock tank into the mix ? The fish are happy frolicking etc.. I did have a bacterial prob w/ my fish in which I lost 2 out of the 8 :frown: I treated them back to health with a bacterial treatment which dosed the 2500 gals.Doyou think the treatment caused this? Or do I need more shade ? Plants etc..? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. The pond is 17' x 12' with maybe 4 sq ft total of shade from plants that are in the water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You need more floating plants. 60% coverage is what I recommend. Your bio filter and these plants should keep it crystal clear.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
You need more floating plants. 60% coverage is what I recommend. Your bio filter and these plants should keep it crystal clear.

Yes I kinda thought that I would need more shade. I have lettuce, lilies, and those little guys that look like little pods of lily pads. Any suggestions on plants. I live in New York 10916. Thanks Dave.

Ask a Question