Ugly pipe

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
hopefully a very simple question. Recently inherited a pond with new house. There was the shell of an old external filter next to the pond which I have replaced with new external filter and submerged pump set. In the center of the pond a PVC pipe rises vertically for 30cm then into a near 90' elbow joint and then a meter of pipe heads to the edge but stops short by 50cm or so. In your opinion is this the remains of a bottom drain?

Thanks

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi:
That isn't a bottom drain since the drain will be at the bottom of the pond. Is the end of the pipe above water? Maybe it's some kind of Venturi valve. A picture of it would be nice, and where does it lead? More info about your pond and filters and pics would be great.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the photo helps. The pipe comes vertically out of the pond liner at the deepest point, then an elbow joint and pipe heads towards edge but stops short.
2014-06-20_16-10-24_640.jpg

Reaction score
Guy, normally a pipe connected to the bottom of the liner would be for a bottom drain. However, I have never heard of anyone running the pipe IN the pond, rather than under it, so I can not help you. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well. I can't help you with identifying your pipe. But I will concur with your first conclusion... it is ugly! I would guess it was meant to feed a fountain or sprayer of some kind? But until you find what's on the other end it's still a mystery!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Another idea, insert a garden hose nozzle into the pipe then send a strong flow of water. This may help discover the external connection.

If you decide to simply rid your pond of the ugly pipe drain the water to below the pipes entry through the liner. Cut through the PVC pipe approximately three to four inches from the liner. Thoroughly clean the remaining pipe. Determine the diameter of the pipe. Purchase an appropriate size PVC pipe cap, PVC cleaner and glue. Following PVC glue's instructions attacthe the cap to the remaining pipe. If wanted, sand the remaining pipe, clean then paint gloss black with a paint suitable for plastic. Note, gloss black will be less visible than flat black.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
The worse case scenario: Maybe that pipe leads to the town's drinking supply and if he cuts it off everyone's faucets will dry out, the water table will drop and the whole town will disappear under a giant sinkhole.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I lifted the pipe and blew down it, really gave it some welly and manged to get large bubbles in 3 different parts of the pond all blowing up large amounts of sediment, does this help the i.d ? Thanks for all your help so far

Ask a Question