UK - waterfall rocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

My pond construction is almost complete, with only the waterfall still to finish.

I've attached a photograph of how it looks presently using rocks I've found around the garden. It doesn't look very natural. Does anyone in the UK have tips for what stones would work? In the US, I see references to 'fieldstones', which I assume we in the UK would call boulders, but I don't know a reasonably-priced place to look. Or do I even need to, is it a case of sticking in any old rock but positioning them better?

Thanks,

A.

Attachments

• 20211113_160816.jpg
    20211113_160816.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would do a bit of research to see which type of rock you want:
Then you might call these guys and see if they have what you are looking for:
Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congrats on getting to the finish line with your pond. If you want a natural looking waterfall, you either need bigger rocks or more of them. Need to make that biofalls disappear. Classic waterfall building tip is to place 2 frame rocks and a spill stone. Frame rocks direct water where you want it to go, and spillstone allows it to cascade over to the next falls.

Search for waterfall building tips on Youtube. Channels like Team Aquascape, Atlantis Water Gardens, Decker's Pondscapes, etc. are good channels. There are a million examples that will show you how to look at and think about building natural looking waterfalls.

RE: Fieldstone. It can probably vary throughout the US, but where I am, a fieldstone is exactly that—a stone that came from a field (or was dug up from one) vs. blasted out of the side of a rock wall or pulled from a stream or river. Once it's bigger than about 12" diameter, we'd call it a boulder.

Ask a Question