90.9 KB · Views: 248

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can’t tell anything from the pictures, sorry.

Which fish is it?

OK, after going back, I think I now see what you are talking about. It does look like some kind of injury, maybe an ulcer. Can you get a better shot for us? Is it reddened? Do you have any potential predators?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I can make it theres something that resembles an ulcer on the left side of the fish on the left

I have used start right or tetra water conditioner with skin /slime BOOSTING additive with success it usually clears up in a couple weeks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree - it does appear ulcerated. And @GBBUDD I agree that it can be cleared up, but I think @Jaynie has a bigger problem as this is not her only fish that is showing distressing signs. It looks like these are the three she is treating in a separate tank.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jaynie Do you have these fish in a quarantine set up, and separated from your other fish? And are these the fish that have been getting the Baytril injections? That spot does look significant — something is going on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree - it does appear ulcerated. And @GBBUDD I agree that it can be cleared up, but I think @Jaynie has a bigger problem as this is not her only fish that is showing distressing signs. It looks like these are the three she is treating in a separate tank.
Ughhh. Correct these are the three. Someone told me that it isn’t an ulcer but I totally disagreed. So reason why I wanted other people’s opinions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Jaynie Do you have these fish in a quarantine set up, and separated from your other fish? And are these the fish that have been getting the Baytril injections? That spot does look significant — something is going on.
Yes they are in a stock tank and yes they are getting injections. Keeping fingers crossed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes these are the three

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What else did they think it was? I mean, maybe something took a bite out of it but that seems less likely given the issues you're having.
@Jaynie can you take a better picture? Maybe closer, with better lighting. Is there any redness? Is it just this one fish with this? What is going on with the other 2?

I had asked about predators, as well, because except for an ulcer, I can’t think of anything else it could be, either. Predators can take nice chunks out of a fish — they don’t always eat them on the spot.

What does your vet friend think it is? Do you think he/she would do a scrape and scope for you? Or at least do it for one of the other fish in the pond. With antibiotics already on board, it may or not be helpful, but it might if there is some parasite involved.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Jaynie can you take a better picture? Maybe closer, with better lighting. Is there any redness? Is it just this one fish with this? What is going on with the other 2?

I had asked about predators, as well, because except for an ulcer, I can’t think of anything else it could be, either. Predators can take nice chunks out of a fish — they don’t always eat them on the spot.

What does your vet friend think it is? Do you think he/she would do a scrape and scope for you? Or at least do it for one of the other fish in the pond. With antibiotics already on board, it may or not be helpful, but it might if there is some parasite involved.
Hey yes all 3 fish have the same thing. My friend doesn’t really know to much about fish this is not his area. He researched and he came up with ulcers and baytril injections would solve the problem. We are 4 shots into treatment with only 2 left to do and they don’t seem any better. Just starting to get concerned more. Maybe we just need time to let the antibiotics work. I don’t know. 23 years of fish keeping and I have ever felt with an issue like this. No it isn’t predictors either. I don’t have any problems with that thank god. I will try to get a better picture tonight when we do their shots again.

Thank you

Ask a Question