unclear pond

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums so pardon any mistakes I make.
I have a 6'x8.5'x30" kidney shaped pond. I recently moved it above ground because I was having trouble with tree roots pushing it up. I made a fountain
for the middle of the pond instead of a waterfall ,I have nothing in the bottom of my pond (like gavel etc.), and I have only a few water lilies and 1 canna for plants. I am running my water thru a uv lite and filtration system, I have added different types of clarifiers and my water is still dirty looking. I don't want to get crazy with chemicals because I do have small comets (15) in the pond and I have a lot of birds around.
I read about the 55 gal biofilter, can someone tell me where I can get plans for building that? Do I need more aireation for my pond?
Thanks

sequoiafish

The wierder the better
Reaction score
Look under pond construction and equipment were their is info on a 55 gal biofilter. Need a biofilter for ponds and aquariums to stay clear. Wecome enjoy.:icon_smile:

Reaction score
;) Is the soil in your pots covered with gravel or something? Fish like to root around in the pots, so raw soil is a bad thing! Get more plants as well natures help goes a long ways.:profile:

Reaction score
Three words an old time ponder told me...Aeration...filtration and circulation...no matter what size you need to move and filter the water. Your fountain may be too small of a filter to handle the load of your pond...so adding a bio filter is the way to go. You will need a pump and tubing to get to the bio filter and a way to reintroduce the filtered water back into the pond...sounds like a waterfall to me

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Search for Bio Filter.
The key to clear water is not UV or chemicals. A 55 gallon bio filter and proper circulation will keep it clear, especially if you have a cascading waterfall which adds oxygen to the water. My water is crystal clear year round, even when the string algae takes over.

Reaction score
thanks guys, I am going to try and build the bio filter. I will have the water come out of the filter through a water fall (hopefully). Still looking for plans on the filter though

Reaction score
If you have filter pads in your filtration system (skimmer?), make sure you wash them out every day or so. They collect a lot of dirt/algae, etc.

Ask a Question