Unclear pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried various pond vacs and different organic treatments... but unfortunately my pond isn't as clear as I would like.

Can anyone recommend a pond vac /treatment or alternative to solve this issue.

Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Not trying to sabotage your question, but since this is your first post, could you give us some information about your pond? How big is it? How long has it been up and running? Do you have fish -- and if so, what kind and how many? What kind of filtration are you using? Are there a lot of trees that drop leaves into the pond? Do you have a bottom drain? And yes, as @tbendl mentioned, pictures would be helpful as well as your water test results.

Everyone's pond is different and it would be helpful if we knew what your expectations for a "clear pond" are.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
animated-welcome-image-0044.gif

Information as @tbendl and @Mmathis asked is crucial to helping you. There are so many knowledgeable folks here who can guide you through this.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried various pond vacs and different organic treatments... but unfortunately my pond isn't as clear as I would like.

Can anyone recommend a pond vac /treatment or alternative to solve this issue.

Thanks

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly- what I mean by clear is that it would be nice to see how many fish are in it :)
The pond is green with many particles suspended in it.
It is an established pond I inherited that has been neglected. I am a complete novice so all guidance welcome.
It is approx. 8ft x 6ft x 3ft deep ish.
I have no idea how many fish as I can't see them - but at least 8-10 English Koi that I can see.
Half the pond is in full sun after 12pm.
I have tested Nitrates - all clear- what other test do you recommend?
Has a new Blagdon oversized filter which is constantly full of "gunk" which I keep cleaning out. Water is fed back in the pond via a fountain. I've added a filter box under the fountain and this is helping remove slime and more gunk.
Fish look healthy and happy and are active.
No bottom drain.
I have seen improvement since I used a pond vac to empty some old water as there was a lot of debris on the bottom, but I have a limited budget and the one I chose stopped working after 5 minutes ( after I read the reviews this was a common problem) so I sent it back what does anyone recommend as this certainly helped the water quality but I'm unsure which one to buy.
There are a few trees around and I have cleared some leaf debris when the vac was working!
Will do photos tomorrow.
Thanks Both :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome.

I picked up an Oase Pondvac on Ebay at a considerable bargain compared to the price of a new one. They are well made, and most have had very little use - a few hours a year. Mine was about 4 years old, but looked like new.

Pics would help diagnose the problem. How well is the pond planted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for coming back to me so quickly- what I mean by clear is that it would be nice to see how many fish are in it :)
It is an established pond I inherited that has been neglected. I am a complete novice so all guidance welcome.
I have no idea how many fish as I can't see them - but at least 8-10 English Koi that I can see.
Has a new Blagdon oversized filter which is constantly full of "gunk" which I keep cleaning out. Water is fed back in the pond via a fountain. I've added a filter box under the fountain and this is helping remove slime and more gunk.
No bottom drain.
I have seen improvement since I used a pond vac to empty some old water as there was a lot of debris on the bottom, but I have a limited budget and the one I chose stopped working after 5 minutes ( after I read the reviews this was a common problem) so I sent it back what does anyone recommend as this certainly helped the water quality but I'm unsure which one to buy.
There are a few trees around and I have cleared some leaf debris when the vac was working!
Will do photos tomorrow.
Hello and welcome! Not trying to sabotage your question, but since this is your first post, could you give us some information about your pond? How big is it? How long has it been up and running? Do you have fish -- and if so, what kind and how many? What kind of filtration are you using? Are there a lot of trees that drop leaves into the pond? Do you have a bottom drain? And yes, as @tbendl mentioned, pictures would be helpful as well as your water test results.

Everyone's pond is different and it would be helpful if we knew what your expectations for a "clear pond" are.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome pondlover17. Do you have any pictures? And have you tested your pond to see what might be causing the issue? How old is your pond and is it in full sun or shade?

No bottom drain.
Will do photos tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Po
Hi, welcome.

I picked up an Oase Pondvac on Ebay at a considerable bargain compared to the price of a new one. They are well made, and most have had very little use - a few hours a year. Mine was about 4 years old, but looked like new.

Pics would help diagnose the problem. How well is the pond planted?

Thanks for this - Ill take a look - the pond has water lilies, Iris and some weed- is that enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Best photos I could take in the current light.

Attachments

• 20170706_105437.jpg
    20170706_105437.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 20170706_105326.jpg
    20170706_105326.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
For a 1000 gallon pond, it is very overstocked with 10 koi.
You can expect to have to clean your filters quite frequently until you reduce the number of fish.
What is the model number of the filter?
I recommend finding other homes for the koi and replacing them with perhaps 4 shubunkin goldfish.

Other important water parameters to check for are ammonia, KH, GH, nitrites, PH and water temperature.

Reaction score
I would empty the pool and give it a good cleaning along with the filter. I would then get rid of the majority of the fish leaving no more than two. I would then add some plants and wait to see how the pond looks. If you continue to get green water I would add a UV light and call it a day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all..its a shame to give up on them they look so healthy....

Just measured and it's 11ft x 8ft x 3ft... is that still too small?

Ask a Question