Undedcided on a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to get some advice from some experts. I have beautiful stone flower beds in the back garden which are really big and was thinking a lovely small rockery pond and water feature would look great in the middle of one and be a relaxing feature. Although I think this would look great I do not know the first thing about ponds. I wanted to know what I'd be letting myself in for? I understand the question depends on size of pond/fish etc but I would only want something small and relatively uncomplicated. Is there such a thing? How much time and money would I need to dedicate to this project and maintenance would be a deciding factor. I ve read other pond forums who's advice to others is there no such pond that is low maintenance and if that's what people want then they don't deserve a pond but I would like something tranquil and a space me and my daughter can enjoy together. I would just like to know how many hours/days I would need to dedicate to this small pond and know all the facts before I decide. Any advice would be much appreciated.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and this is a great place for you to start. I am building a 10L x 5W x 2 foot deep kidney shaped pond. It really isn't all that expensive, I think the cost of landscaping will be more than the pond equipment itself which for me is the EPDM 45 mil 15 x 10 liner, same size underlayment, 700 gph pump, PVC pipe, fittings, pump cage and 3/8 inch pea gravel. Some other various items as well as water quality test kit and water conditioner.

I will utilize a bog filter and this forum is a good place to learn about them. I am sure there will be other items and expenses for me along the way and mine is just an example. They can be as big or as small as you want them to be. Your hardiness zone, the amount of light or shade, nearby trees all effect the specifications to be considered in the design.

Edit: the person that sold me on bog filters said maintenance was emptying the leaf filter (30 seconds) and then spending 30 minutes a day sitting by the pond and just enjoying it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum and this is a great place for you to start. I am building a 10L x 5W x 2 foot deep kidney shaped pond. It really isn't all that expensive, I think the cost of landscaping will be more than the pond equipment itself which for me is the EPDM 45 mil 15 x 10 liner, same size underlayment, 700 gph pump, PVC pipe, fittings, pump cage and 3/8 inch pea gravel. Some other various items as well as water quality test kit and water conditioner.

I will utilize a bog filter and this forum is a good place to learn about them. I am sure there will be other items and expenses for me along the way and mine is just an example. They can be as big or as small as you want them to be. Your hardiness zone, the amount of light or shade, nearby trees all effect the specifications to be considered in the design.

Edit: the person that sold me on bog filters said maintenance was emptying the leaf filter (30 seconds) and then spending 30 minutes a day sitting by the pond and just enjoying it.
Thank you :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can have a low maintenance pond, I think. I have a 10x15 foot pond. I spend about 1.5 to 2 hours every other week wading in it thinning out plants and cleaning the waterfall filter. But if your space for this is away from your house and outdoor living area, a pond less water feature that provides the soothing sounds of running water may be a better match.

How much space do you have to work with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I LOVE my pond! I've had it about 6 months. It took me 8 months to build and much more money than I would like. But I feel the money I spent has helped limit the maintenance. I clean the skimmer out once a week but probably don't need to. The waterfall filter is the kind that you hose out once a year. The waterfall filter unit has a bottom drain which makes periodic small water changes VERY easy. (I just pull the lever and let water flow out to a slow count of 5. Then I close it back up, and top off the pond.) However, I do get in there (like Eric) and pull out some funky plant leaves and such. It is already hard for me to do that at 50. I was thinking how hard it will be at 60! I hope I can get a LifeAlert button that is waterproof! LOL. So, with all that in mind, you can definitely come up with some sort of water feature to suit your needs. The research is half the fun! My 78 year old dad likes my pond so much, he is putting in a pondless fountain with some cool geode-like boulders and a millstone. Can't wait to see what you decide!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've read this a lot in places. Seems like a pond can be quite stressful lol
It can but it can also be built to require little care. Mine has a huge plant filter, I can turn it on in the spring and basically ignore it for the summer if I want to. The main work I do on it is pulling excess plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I gather lots of stress in all other areas of my life... my pond is where I off load it! @bagsmom has it exactly right - plan well, build well and you will have a pond that you enjoy. Most pond stress that you read about is from poor planning or poor pond management.

Having said that - a pondless feature can be absolutely beautiful as well. We started with a pondless waterfall and it's still a favorite spot in our yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome

the bigger the pond the easier it is to maintain. My pond is 16'x18'x4'd i spend about 30 mins a week in maintenance. Milage will vary depending on different variables. leaves etc, wild life like racoons and heron to deter also filter cleaning etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can have a low maintenance pond, I think. I have a 10x15 foot pond. I spend about 1.5 to 2 hours every other week wading in it thinning out plants and cleaning the waterfall filter. But if your space for this is away from your house and outdoor living area, a pond less water feature that provides the soothing sounds of running water may be a better match.

How much space do you have to work with?
Thank you. Hmm I don't have a big space at all. I was just thinking of having something small but deep (if I was to decide on fish) with a rockery water fall would like nice in the centre of my rockery flower bed. I will have to get out there and measure to give you an exact size. The flower bed are away from the house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I LOVE my pond! I've had it about 6 months. It took me 8 months to build and much more money than I would like. But I feel the money I spent has helped limit the maintenance. I clean the skimmer out once a week but probably don't need to. The waterfall filter is the kind that you hose out once a year. The waterfall filter unit has a bottom drain which makes periodic small water changes VERY easy. (I just pull the lever and let water flow out to a slow count of 5. Then I close it back up, and top off the pond.) However, I do get in there (like Eric) and pull out some funky plant leaves and such. It is already hard for me to do that at 50. I was thinking how hard it will be at 60! I hope I can get a LifeAlert button that is waterproof! LOL. So, with all that in mind, you can definitely come up with some sort of water feature to suit your needs. The research is half the fun! My 78 year old dad likes my pond so much, he is putting in a pondless fountain with some cool geode-like boulders and a millstone. Can't wait to see what you decide!
It's definitely nice to hear some positivity at last concerning a low maintenance pond. I would like a pond and love the idea of feeding some fish at the end of my day and sitting watching them. I'm just not very good at DIY at all so wouldn't even know where to begin. At the same time I'm scare to ask someone to build one for me in case they do a terrible job and it ends up a stressful, high maintenance and costly investment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the best filters are ones you build your self .The satisfaction of a DIY project always makes you feel good .
I do know what you mean. Although building a pond or filter would be a little out my depth I think.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It can but it can also be built to require little care. Mine has a huge plant filter, I can turn it on in the spring and basically ignore it for the summer if I want to. The main work I do on it is pulling excess plants.
That sound very manageable to me!! :D

Ask a Question