Under gravel filtration and air diffusers?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Next spring clean out I would like to put in a under gravel filtration system or a couple air diffusers in my koi pond for better water quality....any thoughts? Does anyone have these set ups?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did see that on you tube but the guy used a combo of air and water to push up through the gravel .Not sure how good it would do because lots of nasty bad stuff that can kill fish can be in the gravel .I guess it would be like some of those set ups like in a fish tank

Reaction score
I have a friend in Seattle that has done this. They have an amazing pond. I don't know much more than that. Its pristine, water is pristine, fish are big. The guy is Japanese, he also has about 300 bonsai trees in and around his house and back yard - so I guess he's got time to care for things.

I can find out more if you need more information. I was thinking I would do this if I ever did a rock bottom pond.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
@The Pondster , OK, I guess that's the same as aquarium/tank under gravel filtration. I can't say I've seen that in ponds. Might be a hassle to clean.

For better water quality, have you considered moving media filters? I think those are the most efficient and the best at removing ammonia/nitrites.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a friend in Seattle that has done this. They have an amazing pond. I don't know much more than that. Its pristine, water is pristine, fish are big. The guy is Japanese, he also has about 300 bonsai trees in and around his house and back yard - so I guess he's got time to care for things.

I can find out more if you need more information. I was thinking I would do this if I ever did a rock bottom pond.
I'm just curious i guess in the process of installation and components to run it. I work for probably the largest koi pond builder in the region and the company has yet to install one of those systems..lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I did see that on you tube but the guy used a combo of air and water to push up through the gravel .Not sure how good it would do because lots of nasty bad stuff that can kill fish can be in the gravel .I guess it would be like some of those set ups like in a fish tank
But seems like the yucky stuff would be a one-time issue 'cause once it started working, wouldn't it then prevent that toxic build-up from happening? Don't know anything about it, but it's interesting.

Reaction score
Well, except Priscilla's friend... and maybe other people that you don't know about.

I have always thought this would be an interesting idea and would love to hear more details if you can get them @Priscilla.
Lol yeah ok....
If a person wants a bottom drain they should just have a bottom drain. Why impede it's function with rocks that will collect debris? People used to use under gravel filters in aquariums but that technology is obsolete.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, except Priscilla's friend... and maybe other people that you don't know about.

I have always thought this would be an interesting idea and would love to hear more details if you can get them @Priscilla.
Same here -- not something I'd probably ever do, but I like to learn about new or different things.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lol yeah ok....
If a person wants a bottom drain they should just have a bottom drain. Why impede it's function with rocks that will collect debris? People used to use under gravel filters in aquariums but that technology is obsolete.
Maybe this is for ponds that don't have a BD.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lol yeah ok....

I haven't checked into aquarium filtration lately (my husband had tanks as a boy and we had a few when we were first married) but I had a feeling that under gravel filtration was no longer the standard.

It's still an interesting idea though - but that's coming from someone who has a gravel bottom pond and relies on a bog for all her pond filtration. Also not the standard!

Ask a Question