Under The Microscope....!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These were from a slide that sat on the pond floor for about a week and a half to 2 weeks. I'll post the stills first, then work on getting the videos up as well.

image.jpg

Orange polka dots!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
WOW! That is exactly what it was! I would never have found it on my own! So, it really does have "hairs," and why is it polka dotted? Don't reply just yet, though, 'cause now I want to look it up.
Just pointing you in the right direction. The thrill is in the discovery and learning.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just pointing you in the right direction. The thrill is in the discovery and learning.
Cool! Well, not a lot of information to be found, but found what I wanted to know! So this little critter is a beneficial pond organism -- a sludge-eater! The "dots" are oil deposits from things it's ingested. Is that just how they [the dots] manifest as they are ingested, and are they dependent on the environment it came from? And the "hairs" are for locmotion.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan And when you consider that it (there were actually 2 of them -- one was HUGE and hard to get to stay in one place to photograph it) was on a slide, sitting on the pond bottom -- what does that tell you about its function in the pond? Rhetorical question.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cool! Well, not a lot of information to be found, but found what I wanted to know! So this little critter is a beneficial pond organism -- a sludge-eater! The "dots" are oil deposits from things it's ingested. Is that just how they [the dots] manifest as they are ingested, and are they dependent on the environment it came from? And the "hairs" are for locmotion.
Shows that for all of the advances in science that there is still so much that is unknown and to be discovered and learned. I have seen sources that state that the colored dots are glands and whose function, as yet, was still unknown. All of the creatures in the Annelid (worm) family are detritus consumers. They are a very important part of a pond's eco-system.
Here is a site that you may find interesting: https://www.microscopyu.com/moviegallery/pondscum/index.html

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan Thanks for the link. I couldn't view the videos though, because they require FLASH, which isn't available for iPad.....

I have total respect for worms (the annelid kind, that is) and when I dig, I use a fork instead of a shovel! In fact, was just digging in the turtles' "worm pit," but not all of the wigglers I found today will live to see another day -- turtle food -- circle of life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In our veiw its different from what was shown in the video you sent us
Its a sludge eating nematode worm Maggie they basically have taken over every nich some worms being benificial others are parasites

Dave

Ask a Question