addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes you can. Is you land real rocky? I used carpet pad since we had a lot of shale in our little bit of dirt.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can use most anything that is soft and thick enough to ward off rocks, roots etc. I used carpet, towels, blankets, cardboard and prolly some other things I forgot. We have sandy soil here too w/not many rocks so that was a plus! Just make sure anything you use has no staples, tacks or anything sharp in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes sand works great for the horizontals . just keep in mind if you have subsurface water it may wash it out and expose some rock that maybe an issue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most box store landscape fabric they call a 4 oz. And in my opinion that's being very generous.
If the rock is sharp and lots of it I'd look at a minimum of 8 oz non woven geotextile . Double up where needed two layers is pretty durable stuff. They do sell thicker 12 oz and even more. If you HD a piece of weed barrier in one hand and 8 oz in the other you'd see there's little to no comparison

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In the grand scheme of pond building, underpayment is rather inexpensive. Is there a reason you don’t want to use the product that’s made for this purpose?

Ask a Question