Underlayment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
What types of underlay for the liners are others using. Have seen others using carpet, carpet underlay and other materials.
What are the problems with these other alternatives? Will the critters nest and eat it. We have lots of ground squirls and sometimes Marmots as well. The Marmots don't get to stay long when I see them..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I basically used a standard underlayment, sold for this purpose — very thick and almost indestructible! But, there were places that I reinforced with outdoor carpet. As far as I know (knock on wood), we don’t have a burrowing critter problem, so I didn’t do any research beyond what we bought.

I have heard of people using things like newspaper, but anything organic is eventually going to turn into mulch.....and potential “insect fodder.”

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used carpet underlay. Assume still doing its job. Pond still full

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used 30 lb roofing and 15 lb roofing felt and then underlayment .I have moles here that chewed my liner back in 2014.I used milky spore to get rid of the grubs that the moles were after

Ask a Question