Underwater Electrical Connection

Reaction score
A fox has helpfully chewed through the electric cable of my pump, leaving an insufficient amount to reconnect it above the water-line. My options seem to be to scrap a relatively new £150 pump, or chance using an underwater cable connector. I wouldn't want to risk electrocuting my fish, and so wondered if anyone has had any experience of these and whether they are safe to use. Thanks very much.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A fox has helpfully chewed through the electric cable of my pump, leaving an insufficient amount to reconnect it above the water-line. My options seem to be to scrap a relatively new £150 pump, or chance using an underwater cable connector. I wouldn't want to risk electrocuting my fish, and so wondered if anyone has had any experience of these and whether they are safe to use. Thanks very much.

I would not chance an underwater connection. Is there an electric motor repair service in your area? They can easily replace the damaged cord with a new one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The cost savings is not worth the risk. I agree with Meyer, a repair shop should be able to fix this. If for some reason not then a new pump would be the way to go for safety.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know for low wattage and stuff you can use water resisted cable shrink wrap .I used it on a small pump years ago and it is still working to this day .The stuff is not cheap and I actually covered it again with a rubber dip stuff that you use for shovel handles and stuff .It is only a 360 gph pump .I don't use that in my pond it is in a stock tank with plants so no worry of electric shock to the fish .You can get them repaired for cheaper like meyer said .I thought by now this pump would be dead but it runs on .:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it states in the pump's instructions that the cable is permanently connected and sealed to the motor, and cannot be replaced. So it looks like it's going to have to be a new pump.....:grumpy:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look for one that is energy efficient .You can also buy power cord covers to protect your pumps .Problem is that here you can only buy them from a electrical supply outlet .I paid 18 dollars for each of mine .They are just rubber and you can probably just buy a rubber type hose to put over your power cord also and that would be cheaper .Just make sure it fits over the plug .

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion. The damaged cable was fitted inside a garden hose, but obviously I now need to find something stronger.

Ask a Question