Underwater lights or above water lights?

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy folks, I'm thinking of lighting my pond at night. Was wondering if you guys prefer above water lights or under water lights. Not looking for esthetics, strictly for visibility. I would like to see my fish at night!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Howdy. I recently bought my first lights, they're submersible but they float so I have them suspended at the top of the water (mostly) aiming down. So far I like them - they're the ones that can change color, not very pricey. This was at dusk today, the fish were all hiding at the moment but if they weren't they'd be visible.

Attachments

• 20220913_194759.jpg
    20220913_194759.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 40

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I've found that the inexpensive solar lights work pretty well. They don't light up the whole pond, but if you place them at different levels, you can see your fish as they pass through the beams. You can place them either underwater or above, which allows you to experiment with what works best.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!
Sorry for such a late reply, have been busy( non pond related)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use both types of lighting -- low voltage plug-in lights under the water and a few solar lights above ground. Two small low voltage lights in the pond are about a foot underwater and shine out from the far end of my small pond towards the waterfall on the opposite side. A larger low voltage light sits at the bottom of the pond (about 3-and-a-half ft deep) shining directly up beneath the waterfall.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I will eventually get some solar under water lights. That is a ways away though as I am out of funds for now.
I do appreciate you guys comments, it saves me the effort and expense of experimenting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy folks, I'm thinking of lighting my pond at night. Was wondering if you guys prefer above water lights or under water lights. Not looking for esthetics, strictly for visibility. I would like to see my fish at night!
I have underwater lights in my pond, but I’ve made sure there is plenty of oxygenating plants in the pond so that the fish can’t have a disco.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds racist to me so you can have the disco all to your self is that how it works excluding the Slimy ones

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

Hi Meh,
I have underwater lights for the past 2 years, I wouldn’t be without them now, I leave a section of the pond unlit for the fish to hide if need be. This winter I had a lot of towering ice which looked awesome with the lights lighting it up from below, also it’s great when you’re out for some fresh air before bed, I can sit and watch my fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine used to be underwater lights till they stopped working and so they are now setup around the edge where they work for some odd reason. Cheepo's from the Depot :happy:

Ask a Question