Underwater Pond Photography.

Reaction score
That was very cool! I've tried to do underwater with a camera but its not as nice as this.

You have a lot of nice fish! Is the bottom of your pond clay/soil? It looks like the plants are growing in clay/soil? I love the underwater forest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice. I use the Canon D20 for underwater video. I have used a pole for a video under the ice in the winter and just my hand also for a few. I have gone in the pond holding the camera. For above water I use the Iphone with a rode mic attached. I have the older gopro that I use now and then. For higher quality I use my DSLR and lenses

Here is on just hand holding above and below the water

Here is one on a pole during the winter under the ice

Here is the gopro in one position for the entire footage

Here is one with my pro dslr and lens for a bit higher quality video

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Love the underwater videos! I don't have a camera I can do that with but so cool.

Reaction score
Very nice. I use the Canon D20 for underwater video. I have used a pole for a video under the ice in the winter and just my hand also for a few. I have gone in the pond holding the camera. For above water I use the Iphone with a rode mic attached. I have the older gopro that I use now and then. For higher quality I use my DSLR and lenses

Nice videos. My GoPro is a version 2. The older ones did not come with a flat lens, I had to buy one. If you don't have it you will get lens distortion.

I did not know a woodpecker would go for the orange like that, very interesting.

Reaction score
That was very cool! I've tried to do underwater with a camera but its not as nice as this.

You have a lot of nice fish! Is the bottom of your pond clay/soil? It looks like the plants are growing in clay/soil? I love the underwater forest.

Thanks, the pond is all liner. The areas you see that look like a forest (that's what I call it too) has a layer of filter cloth over the liner. When I built the pond this area was covered with river rock. Every year I remove more and more rock (was a big mistake having it in the first place) but leave enough there to hold the filter cloth in place. This weed seems to anchor to it nicely.

Reaction score
I also have used a GoPro, on a stick, but I have the older model GoPros, and although they were designed with an underwater housing, their engineers screwed up and the the old style housing had a bubble style lens that didn't focus properly underwater.
I have two of the older style GoPros and can't yet bring myself to buy one of the newer ones yet.
Your video certainly has a sharp focus.
Compare it to mine.. You'll see mine just doesn't have that sharp focus under water.

Reaction score
Thanks, the pond is all liner. The areas you see that look like a forest (that's what I call it too) has a layer of filter cloth over the liner. When I built the pond this area was covered with river rock. Every year I remove more and more rock (was a big mistake having it in the first place) but leave enough there to hold the filter cloth in place. This weed seems to anchor to it nicely.
That's a great idea.
I use a type of fabric landscaping cloth as a sort of liner in some of the plant pots in my pond. I put an over sized piece of the cloth in the pot and put soil and the lilies in the pot with the fabric, then the excess fabric wraps around and hides the edge and the sides of the pot and it virtually disappears under water. I also use some of that fabric to hide a bit of hose I have going to my skimmer.
I think next year I'm going to try your idea of anchoring some sort of plant somewhere in my pond, perhaps some parrot's feather.

Reaction score
I also have used a GoPro, on a stick, but I have the older model GoPros, and although they were designed with an underwater housing, their engineers screwed up and the the old style housing had a bubble style lens that didn't focus properly underwater.
I have two of the older style GoPros and can't yet bring myself to buy one of the newer ones yet.
Your video certainly has a sharp focus.
Compare it to mine.. You'll see mine just doesn't have that sharp focus under water.

Nice video.
I have a version 2 GoPro with the old lens too. I bought a new underwater housing to correct the lens issue. I see one on Amazon for $34 which is much cheaper than a new camera.
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LEBTHYO

Ask a Question