Underwater pumps - what brand?

Reaction score
I have 2 underwater pumps - one for the waterfall, one for the skimmer. It seems I have to replace one every year. What do you have for undewater pumps, how long has it lasted and would you buy it again? Also, do you use anything to filter the water going into the pump? Thanks in advance to all who reply.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a Pondmaster submersible that I've used for 8 yrs and no problems. Right now I just have it set down on the bottom with a hard plastic filter thingy that attaches to the inlet tube and I wrapped a piece of nylon netting over that so it wouldn't suck little fish in. Then it just goes through the tubing and up to the filter/waterfall and back into the pond. I have another Pondmaster pump that I just bought a year or so ago to use for siphoning water out for partial water changes and it works fine also :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You would not want clear water, ponds have junk in them, pond pumps are made to handle small amounts of junk without ruining them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
harbor freight 6 years and 3 that are 4 years all around 22 dollars and yes would buy again .the price is great had 1 tetra pond burned out at 8 months

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the same problem every year wiith losing a pump in the spring. I had been pulling the pumps out of the pond and keeping them inside dry. I didn't know you are supposed to keep them wet so the seals don't dry out. This year they were in a stock tank all winter and so far so good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep put them in storage in a bucket of water to keep them from drying out

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for electrical savings you would be hard pressed to find better than Laguna. i have Tetraponds, 3 of them ones 4 years old it still runs and i broke the armature and have been using it for over a year. the other i got used 4 years ago and it still runs great and it runs nonstop 24/7/365. both Laguna and Tetrapond come with 3 and 4 year warranties depending on model. the last i bought new at the same time still runs good.

Reaction score
keep them wet? Are you kidding me??? OMG If it is really just that simple. However, I now have 3 pumps that may be no good. UGH!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
in the winter if you pull your pumps put them in a bucket of water to keep seals wet and where they will not freeze .I use an old drywall joint compound bucket .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lamack said:
keep them wet? Are you kidding me??? OMG If it is really just that simple. However, I now have 3 pumps that may be no good. UGH!

You might be ok, give them a try, maybe soak them before you turn them on for a few days.

Ask a Question