Uneven pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband and I put in our 150 gal. Garden pond 3 yrs ago. The side opposite the water fall is 4" higher. This is a preformed pond liner. It's partly b/c John got tired of digging (ho hum) and b/c of the weight of the limestone on the lip of the waterfall side. The only problem is seeing the plastic drives me nuts, and it takes away added gallons I could use. Should I try to take all limestone away and lift up one side or leave and build up limestone on the inside to mask it. Linda

Attachments

• IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 620
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Your pond is absolutely beautiful.
I can't see the extent of the problem from you photo. Level is always better but you will have to drain it to do the job correctly. Sand underneath preformed ponds really helps to maintain level but it is virtually impossible to add sand or remove limestone with a filled pond. Sometimes, it is just easier to leave it as is until you do a complete redo.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! Your pond is very pretty! And like the others, I can't see the edge, but I know how it is when something drives you crazy!

Preforms settle - that's one of the advantages of a liner. If it settles at all, you just have a deeper pond! And no concerns about uneven settling. If I were you I'd leave it alone. You may just end up with a bigger issue. Cover it with plants or rock and no one will be any the wiser.

Reaction score
For a small pond 4" is a lot of edging. I'd take it out and redo it but it does sound like a lot of work. Is it possible to move the rocks over the edge more or put some plants in so that you can't see the edge?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely. A good plant might be something that grows out of the pond and upward like Dwarf Umbrella Palm. But I am struggling to see where the problem is located. Is it in the upper right side?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It all depends on how much it drives you nuts. You could drain it, moving any fish and aquatic plants to a large kiddie pool , dig the hole level, add sand to ensure it stays level, then putting it back in and all back together. Or you could hide the nit sticking up with plants, mulch on the outside, or a nice assortment of rocks, however you choose to go. Digging it up and leveling it is more work, but will give you the extra water volume. It’s also a good chance to clean up any gunk built up. The downside is loss of beneficial bacteria. So it’s up to you to decide which way to go.

Ask a Question