Unexpected Babies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well I guess it shouldn't really have surprised me, but it did. The other day I was feeding my fish and lo and behold, there were several little ones swimming around. (They are various sizes, which confuses me a little.) I started out with a 5-6" comet who was part of my aquarium cycling a few years ago, also his tank-mate who unfortunately got sick during the cycling and lost all his/her color and appears to be blind. I didn't have the heart to euthanize him/her, so put it in the pond last year and figured I'd let nature take it's course over the winter, and it not only survived, but seems to be flourishing. (There was also a 3rd orange and white one who unfortunately died in the skimmer box last summer.) About 6 weeks ago I purchased 3 smaller shubunkins and placed them in the pond. I did observe the largest goldfish chasing all of the shubunkins, I but wasn't sure if it was a territorial thing or a mating thing. I've had a bit of an algae problem this summer so so my water hasn't exactly been crystal clear. That's why I was so surprised to see those babies! They range in size from 1-2". I was going to try to net some of the smallest babies and place them in my aquarium for a while but hey swim too fast! Although I love seeing the new additions, I am concerned about my small pond being able to sustain all these lives! I'm guessing I need to do something to increase my filtration and/or aeration but don't know where to start, nor do I have a lot of money to spend on it right now. This is my current setup: pond surface area 5'x6', depth approximately 30" at the deepest point. Skimmer box with filter material in basket, Anjon 1,200 gph pump. Small waterfall with bio balls but currently no filter material. I have just purchased a UV clarifier but don't have it running yet because I need to get another pump for it. I also have a "spitter" that I plan to run off the same pump for the clarifier by using a control valve splitter. I have 2 water lilies, a lot of water hyacinth, and some border plants (grasses, iris, even stuck some hostas in on the shallow edges.) Any advice would be very appreciated!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
babies happen and now you have a ready made family .Shame we can't take them off as dependents ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Congrats! You're a grandfish!

I think you're fine with your current set up. Goldfish are not terribly picky about filtration. I'd return the UV if I were you - no need for it really. And that saves you the cost of a second pump. You've got about 550 gallons so your pump size is fine, too. If you want a second pump to run the spitter that's up to you. More aeration is never a bad thing!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Enjoy! you are a proud fishy parent!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Congrats! You're a grandfish!

I think you're fine with your current set up. Goldfish are not terribly picky about filtration. I'd return the UV if I were you - no need for it really. And that saves you the cost of a second pump. You've got about 550 gallons so your pump size is fine, too. If you want a second pump to run the spitter that's up to you. More aeration is never a bad thing!
LOL a grandfish. I kinda feel like one, as much as I fret over them sometimes . I probably don't need the UV but think I'll keep it because the fishies are more fun if I can actually see them. ;-) I've noticed they sure are curious little things, if I put my hand in the water they all start swimming closer and closer. Looking for food, no doubt. They are so pretty, I'm so glad I got the shubunkins.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my shubbies. They have great colors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Congrats @NotMyCircus on the new babies. How many fish do you have now including the new arrivals?? As @Lisak1 mentioned you are at around 550 gallons (could be less, depending on average depth of pond assuming it's not a big box like mine) so you could very well be fine for now with your stocking ratio. They will most likely breed again in the future so you may eventually have to rehome some of them.

We'd love to see pictures of the little ones, Shubunkins are my absolute favorite goldfish!

Ask a Question