unexplained goldfish deaths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a preformed garden pond,no filtration,i am a complete novice at keeping fish but we decided last week to buy two small goldfish.prior to this the pond has a solar powered water lilly on it and 2 real water lillies.both goldfish died today.we emptied the pond,cleaned it thourghly refilled it then went and bought 3 goldfish.kept them in the plastic bag in the pond before releasing them now 4 hours later they are all dead,very upsetting can anyone suggest a solution before any more die?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you tested the water parameters, especially temperature?
Have you added anything to the water recently..pesticide/herbicide?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did you de-chlorinate the water? what water did you use to fill the pond? Did you make sure to float the fish to get the temperature of the fish in the bag and the pond to match (or close)?

You will need a filtration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the pond, how big were the fish? The temps here in the UK have been the highest so far this year.. Temp in direct sun at my place was 37C yesterday. Has the pond got any shade for the fish to hide, do the water lilies cover the recommended half of the surface? Water temps must have risen considerably, warm water holds less oxygen than cool/cold water....have you any means of aeration?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you de-chlorinate the water? what water did you use to fill the pond? Did you make sure to float the fish to get the temperature of the fish in the bag and the pond to match (or close)?

You will need a filtration.
no i did not dechlorinate the water,but i made sure the temperatures matched before releasing the fish,filtration will be a big problem for us unless its non electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the pond, how big were the fish? The temps here in the UK have been the highest so far this year.. Temp in direct sun at my place was 37C yesterday. Has the pond got any shade for the fish to hide, do the water lilies cover the recommended half of the surface? Water temps must have risen considerably, warm water holds less oxygen than cool/cold water....have you any means of aeration?
the pond is approx 6feet by 3feet and 3 feet in depth,the fish were tiny goldfish with ample space,yes the pond hade shade provided by solar powered lilly.what kinds of aeration are available? prefer non electric

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
no i did not dechlorinate the water,but i made sure the temperatures matched before releasing the fish,filtration will be a big problem for us unless its non electric

Tap water is what killed the fish. Tap water has chlorine and that's very dangerous to fish and it will kill the fish quickly. You need to buy de-chlorinator and put it in the pond that you filled with tap water before you can put the fish in.

IF you do not have filtration, you need to have ALOT of plants, and i mean plants like hornworth or those plants that they called oxygen plant. It can help a bit.

You will need something to move the water, air bubble will do. I know they sell solar air bubble thing.

The idea of filter is that fish, especially goldfish create a lot of waste and they live in their own waste. The waste consisted of Ammonia. To get rid of ammonia, you can do water change often if you dont have any filtration.
In Nature, there is this bacteria (nature is the best,isnt it?) that eats (I dont know really what they do) ammonia, but after they eat the ammonia they create Nitrite, which is also toxin to fish. Then there is this another bacteria that eats Nitrite but then create Nitrate (which is toxin in LARGE amount, but fish can live with it and plants use it to grow).

If you leave it to nature, this process happen in every pond naturally, it takes at least about 8 weeks for the whole thing to complete though, so mean while, your fish will be living in ammonia rich water, that's why water change come in handy (dont scrub any surface in the pond or you will kill the bacteria). This bacteria live on any surface, the more surface area you have, the more you have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly with sun levels experienced here in the UK I question whether a solar powered Venturi would be adequate enough? Maybe the cost of a solar panel large enough to make any significant difference would be cost effective in the long run? I had a small panel, that powed a one inch airstone, cost around £12, lasted through 2015 season, only used March to Sept as sun not bright enough rest of the time.....its just packed up on me :-/ you get what you pay for as with anything.

Perhaps would have been better asking for some advise or doing some reading up on the requirements of keeping fish in a pond, especially if you don't intend to set out with the proper equipment to keep your charges healthy? Don't mean to sound harsh, just an observation, I hope you can get things sorted :)

Elodea, hornwort and starwort are good oxygenators that also provide cover and will soon spread and double their initial size.

Where in the UK are you located?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Yikes!

Chlorine and chloramine is what got them. As mentioned above, use a dechlorinator.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

That is your likely cause of the fish deaths. Juvenile fish are more susceptible to any toxin than an adult fish, If you are sure that the temperatures matched (I am assuming that you used a thermometer), then Chlorine is all that is left as a cause. Goldfish are very durable and adaptable fish and can tolerate quite high temperatures for an extended period of time. They can also tolerate an extremely low Oxygen level.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree that the lack of dechlorinator was probably the culprit. And when you cleaned out the pond, that eliminated a lot of the sources of good bacteria. Have to say I agree with @moby -- this is a good time to start learning about pond & fish keeping. It's not a plug & play.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I agree they can tolerate high temps and low oxygen levels for periods of time, as we can but at least we have the ability to switch the fan on or open a window to cool down and get more fresh air and oxygen in, they're stuck with it! Far better to have them in as good an environment as possible IMHO. Realise things can happen and go wrong with ponds though, but with better info from the start this could have been eliminated. Let's hope the OP will come back and gain more knowledge:)

Ask a Question