Unhappy fish

Reaction score
image.jpg
Hi all I have had a pond for about 10 years had a new one built about 2 years ago holds about 800 later. ( we are waiting to have it made deeper in the next few weeks) every thing was fine until the last few days all the fish seem to be up the top gasping for air and they are not eating either. I have tested the water and that all seems fine. I have 1 very old yellow tench I large ghost carp 2 koi and a couple of gold fish oh yeah and a new baby first one for a long while. Any suggestions. Cheers
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Lady Pugwash , we are best placed to help you coming from the UK ourselves, we live in Plymouth may I ask where in the UK your from?
In this warm weather adding an airstone to the pond would help them some especially with this thundery weather we seem to b getting at the moment and all .
When was the last time you did any of the following vacuumed the pond, cleaned your filter, did a water change ?
Next what are your water perameters Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. Ph, Gh, Kh please?
When you say 800 do you mean gallons or ltre's ?
We have a 1,000 gallon pond where we do a partial water change weekly in the summer months I would hope your doing more than a few yourselves as water changes are essential to our fish the same as fresh air is to ourselves

Dave

Reaction score
Hi save thanks for your help we live in Essex near lakeside shopping centre. I only have a little pond it holds about 800'ltrs but we are waiting to have it made deeper in the next few weeks. We cleaned the filter and pump last night and topped it up at the same time. I have never vacuumed my pond. Can't remember all the results of the water test just remember they was within the limits on the colour chart I was going to do it again in a few days. I will go and get a airs tone today.

Sue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm wondering if it's O2 issues. I note a couple of the fish near the water wall, which usually has more O2. I think Dave's advice of an air pump is a good one.

I've had a smaller one for a few years, but bought a bigger one this summer. At fist my koi were spooked by it, but now they love to play in it's current. I've also noticed less algae and clearer water since putting it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sue yes add an airstone or two too your pond weve put our bottom drain bubbler up some and our water temperature is at 21c which is warm , I know in your part of the UK your seeing temperatures of 30c plus so you really need to do this .
There is a thing called Catastrophic Oxygen depletion that is resposible for killing fish over night :-

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1997/summer/oxydep.shtml

I'm not saying iit will hit you just making you aware of it hence the warning it normally happens due to atmospheric pressure which we see with thunderstorms

Dave

Reaction score
Cheers could not get airpump today think everyone must be buying them will get one Monday and hope they are fine until then. I have got the waterfall running so hopefully that that will help. Just checked the water temp and it it 24.9c. I did get some new ammonia sticks will test again in morning. Fingers cross they will be ok will be int touch with update thanks for your help really worried about them
AyeAye

Reaction score
You could add oxygen to the water yourself by doing a water change or taking a bucket and scooping out pond water and pouring it back in from a height to make a lot of bubbles. I think the fish would appreciate some new water.

Reaction score
You could add oxygen to the water yourself by doing a water change or taking a bucket and scooping out pond water and pouring it back in from a height to make a lot of bubbles. I think the fish would appreciate some new water.
I did a water change yesterday and we do have a water fall going all the time but I will put the hose in it again tomorrow morning. Cheers sue

Reaction score
Hi sue yes add an airstone or two too your pond weve put our bottom drain bubbler up some and our water temperature is at 21c which is warm , I know in your part of the UK your seeing temperatures of 30c plus so you really need to do this .
There is a thing called Catastrophic Oxygen depletion that is resposible for killing fish over night :-

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/1997/summer/oxydep.shtml

I'm not saying iit will hit you just making you aware of it hence the warning it normally happens due to atmospheric pressure which we see with thunderstorms

Dave
Hi dave I gave just done ammonia test and it is 1

Reaction score
1 is very high. How big of a water change did you do yesterday? It must have been even higher then. I would suggest a large water change. At least 50%
We did that two weeks ago we did about two thirds. Ok we we empty it again Monday can't do before then will just keep getting oxygen in ax much ax I can before then and pray they are ok

Reaction score
Sounds good. What sort of pump and filter do you have on there? Maybe we can help you get your ammonia under control. Do you have a nitrate test kit?
Yeah but went to use it and it was out of date tried to get a new one today but they had run out not my day today. We have a aqua force 1000 pump and a Hozlock 3000 filter the pond only holds 770 litres so not big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers could not get airpump today think everyone must be buying them will get one Monday and hope they are fine until then. I have got the waterfall running so hopefully that that will help. Just checked the water temp and it it 24.9c. I did get some new ammonia sticks will test again in morning. Fingers cross they will be ok will be int touch with update thanks for your help really worried about them
AyeAye
Sur loose the test sticks they are totally inaccurate buy an API pond drop test kit £34-00
I'd also do a partial water change tomorrow but you urgently need a pond airpump (not an aquarium one iit wont cut it)/ Along with the ammonia we'll also need to know your Nitrite Nitrate and Ph readings .
When we ran a large indoor koi tank at 24c we had at least two pond airstones going at full tilt

Dave

Ask a Question