Unknown creatures in pond filter, please identify

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi to all experts, I found some strange looking creatures in my pond filter . Please identify for me . If it is harmful, what remedy is available.
Thanks.
filter-1.jpg
filter-2.jpg
filter-3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
They look like waterbugs. Not sure if they are harmful, but going to watch this thread and find out, because someone on here will know. They appear to be in gooey stuff, like egg sac covering. Are they, or is that just water gathering around them? :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the reply.

I found these little creatures inside the pond filter ( the pressurised type ) lately. As I cleaned the filter every week, I removed them every week.

This may indicate something is changing in the water chemistry. The pond used to have dark sheeting above it, but the sheetings were replaced with lighter colour ones lately allowing more light to come through. As a result the pond water has a bit more green algae showing up. My main concern is whether these bugs are harmful to the fish or not.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.

I found these little creatures inside the pond filter ( the pressurised type ) lately. As I cleaned the filter every week, I removed them every week.

This may indicate something is changing in the water chemistry. The pond used to have dark sheeting above it, but the sheetings were replaced with lighter colour ones lately allowing more light to come through. As a result the pond water has a bit more green algae showing up. My main concern is whether these bugs are harmful to the fish or not.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Difficult to identify from the photo, but are likely pose no harm to the fish. In fact, that you have found them only in the filter indicates that the opposite is probably true, that the fish view them as food and pose a threat to these creatures.
On a side note, encouraging algae growth by allowing more light also attracts myriad other naturally occurring organisms that feed on the algae, thus strengthening the food chain.

Ask a Question