Unknown fungus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can anyone identify what my goldfish has and advise how it should be treated. See picture.

I can't find anything similar in all the searching I've done.

It's in a 4500 litre pond with 20 other fish (isolated it now obviously). All water parameters are zero (including nitrate). No other fish in the pond has this. It is 2 weeks since I found and isolated it. I've been treating it with a malachite green solution (can't remember the brand) and it has had no effect. The 'fungus' does not seem to move so I don't think it is a parasite - but perhaps someone else can tell me?

Thanks in advance
20171008_170340.jpg

Matt

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Formalin is recommended for treating severe fungus issues of fish. I would give this a try. Must be administered in an isolation tank.
This fish also has fin rot which is indicative of fungal infection. The darker color may be caused by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) growing on the fungus.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is strange, it almost looks like he stood still too long and moss started growing on him. Poor thing. Hope you can fix him up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Formalin is recommended for treating severe fungus issues of fish. I would give this a try. Must be administered in an isolation tank.
This fish also has fin rot which is indicative of fungal infection. The darker color may be caused by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) growing on the fungus.
I'll try it out. Thanks

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would it not be best to try remove it first then treat?

Yes, if one has the capability to anestheticise the fish first. Attempting to remove any growth while a fish is actively resisting will not only severely additionally add stress to the fish but may also risk more damage to the area where the growth is attached.

Ask a Question