Unknown, issues with fish

Reaction score
Started a few (2) years ago on one fish thought it was some kind of fish tumor and it wasn't dangerous to my other fish but now 6 of the 17 fish in my pond have it.I'll post pictures please help, I'm kind of stumped with this one. They are not flashing or gasping, What is this thing? It kind of looks like a bubble but starts out looking like a small sore on them. I've included pictures, please help me out

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 314
  • image(8).jpeg
    image(8).jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 311
  • image(7).jpeg
    image(7).jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 365
  • image(6).jpeg
    image(6).jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image(5).jpeg
    image(5).jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 292
  • image(4).jpeg
    image(4).jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 286
  • image(3).jpeg
    image(3).jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 317
  • image(2).jpeg
    image(2).jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 295

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never seen anything like that but hope someone can help you .were they ok when you bought them and have you tested your water .Have you added any meds to the pond since it started .Could it be trapped eggs

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Extreme case of carp pox. (Waiting for someone to back me up here!)
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
One thing about carp pox is it usually is worse in colder temps, but since you're in AZ, that doesn't make sense. I also didn't think carp pox is contagious. Hoping others with more experience will chime in….not completely sure it's carp pox….but if it is, it's extreme. Kim

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No idea, so will defer to those with some knowledge. Can't speak to that large area, but those smaller ones remind me of the way my fish looked that had "yellow grubs," a trematode. The "spots" were raised & slightly yellowish, and did sorta look like bubbles. They never looked like something that was growing ON the fish, but more like something growing just under the "skin" and proofing out.

Maybe if you could get a few better pics, more close-up in good focus.... May have to catch one and hold it out of the water briefly...? I'm no expert at taking fish pics, either.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The largest 'bubbles' I've seen on golfish were about the size of a pea, but these must be quite a bit bigger.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
It could be a tumor even if several fish have them. Have these fish been exposed long term to any medication(s) known to cause cancer (first thing that comes to mind is quick cure which is an antiparasitic with formalin and malachite green) ?

Reaction score
Carp pox is highly contagious. That's what is looks like to me too, although I've never seen such a large tumor. That fish might have a complication. Sadly, carp pox is incurable and any fish you add to your pond will get it. It doesn't seem to harm the fish, they just look ugly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Carp Pox isnt a worry and disa[pears in the spring hen the weather warms up looking at this I dont think its a tumour so we can rule that out for noow anyway.
I'd say my best bet and weve seen these before quite recently too "a trematode", which houses a grub in each lump, though I've never seen one this big perhaps two have set up together .
Theres nothing you can do about it treatment wise during the winter months last you stress your coldfish out so much that it costs lives but late spring may well be the time to act giving you ample tim,e to read up on how to treat them .
Not had it with any of our koi here in the UK ever I believe its more US.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, I learned something….I didn't know carp pox was highly contagious. I also don't know anything about trematode, so will read up on it. Kim

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Carp Pox is contagious, Highly contagious? IMO, not really. I've seen it effect a fish one season and not the next but yet fish that have been in the pond for years with the effected fish not ever show the first sign. That does not look anything like carp pox in my opinion. It appears to be a tumor. IMO, I would remove and try treating in a separate holding tank. I've never seen much success with treatments. Biggest worry is if it opens it "COULD" spread to other fish. I say Could because that would depend on what is actually causing the tumor. Tumor can be caused from s few different things, calcium deposit tumors are not contagious, and rarely fatal unless they are growing around it pressing against a organ. Cancer type Tumors are extremely questionable if they can spread or not. As Dave stated it could also be a trematode. These parasites live most of their life as a host. but if they emerge and the parasite hatches young then there is a chance of it spreading to some of the other fish in the pond, again, a good reason to remove and try to treat before it opens and possibly spreads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What I find so perplexing is that 7 of his fish have this " condition". Has the op ever followed up……I'm curious to know the outcome. Kim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx Larkin your spot on .......
Carp pox isnt a worry and phrases like highly contagious are a worry to people, for one its not carp pox its called fish pox and it effects other fish as well as carp.
Once the fish or carp has had the disease it disapears in that fish or carp and is no longer a worry to that fish as such is termed relitively harmless, were as KHV if Koi Herpes Virus which is highly contagious one which can kill up to 80% of your fish , in goldfish you have GHV or the Goldfish Herpes Virus though less destructive it can still claim a good number of your fish and is mildly contagious
It normally only infects fish of age one to two years of age, in extreme cases some fish seem to get stuck with it for a while .
One of my koi keeping friends Matt had a Matsuba that had it for four years before it disapeared.
You can however develope Papillomas which is again classed as relatively low level infection wise, its relative of fish pox which can in some cases be canerous and if your fish develope these then veteranarian intervention is called for to remove them .

I hope this helps clear that one up a little terns like highly contagious should only be used where the disease is and its a term that shouldnt be used lightly as it tends to panic people.

Dave

Ask a Question