unusual test numbers

Reaction score
Country
United States
New member here - been following the forum for awhile - lots of good advice.
I inherited a 15,000 gallon rubber lined pond with depth of 2-6 feet and 12 1' koi. All my numbers are perfect EXCEPT water hardness and pH are off the chart high. No buffering capacity. I searched the forum and can't find an answer that suits my situation because those numbers are so high. One drop in a tube turns my pH water blue. It takes 24 drops before the alkalinity test water changes. Plants can't really survive.
Fish have been surviving for years but I really want plants in there. Any thoughts please? Lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Lori.Welcome. By high ph is it over 10? which is super high or in the 8-9 range. Sources of alkaline can raise your ph.This could be from water run off going over pavers or other cement products not made from portland cement. It's not unusual for a pond after a year or so to drop ph by 1 if it has plants. Agreed source of water is important. Are you getting it from a well or municipal system?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15,000 gallon
What a great size pond. Any pictures by chance? I agree test your PH in the water source. Also test your pond at different times of the day. Depending on the time can also change your PH readings. Algae will also cause PH swings also. If you tested the pH during the day when the algae was using up carbon dioxide from the water, it is not surprising that the pH was so high. If you measured the pH early a.m. before the sun comes out, you would most likely notice the PH lower. I do not know how your setup but a waterfalls or fountains help to really aerate the water. If you do not have those then maybe add some air stones. Keep it running 24 hours a day. This will assist in keeping the PH swings lower.

Welcome to the forum

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Are you using a "regular" pH test or a "hi-range" pH test? I have alk water and have to use the "hi-range" test to get an accurate result [my tube will be blue if I use the "regular" drops].

And, as have already been asked, what is your water source, and how old is your test kit?

Ask a Question