Unusual

Reaction score
Country
United States
1500 gal pond water fall uv filtration all that 1 kio about 23 to 24 inches ph levels are good everything is fine until i try to add new kio to the pond each time i have tried 2 days there dead . Now these are tiny kio im adding a fraction of the big kio size so it cant be oxygen (im thinking )or the big kio would be dead long ago also i put feeder gold fish in the pond first to see how they do and they are still alive as far as i can tell . I dont change water i do add pond bacteria to help keep the alge under control and that blue pond stuff to tent the water but again wouldn’t my big kio suffer if something detrimental was wrong with the pond water or mybe i should stop getting kio from pet smart …idk what do yall think?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi @Marvolus 3D where are the koi coming from that you are adding ? are they coming from a tank indoors ? if so then the temperature swings could be killing the small fish. also ph is just a part of the puzzle you need to look at all the other parameters kh, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and pictures of your pond/setup will help determine whats going on. adding bacteria(snake oil) will not help to get algae under control algae is there for a reason, are you feeding ? i assume its winter where you are so you shouldnt really be feeding unless your pond is heated, also what is "blue stuff to tent the water". cheers mark

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All good advice from Mark. And yes - "KOI" from petsmart are probably not in the best of health to begin with. Honestly in a pond your size, you'd be better off sticking with goldfish anyway.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They were also kept in tanks indoors and it could be water temperature shock . I got all my fish from a koi farm and acclimated them first slowly but surely and now they are also over 2 feet long . I have had them since 2005 .I gave 4 babies away to a new pond owner this past early fall but only after I checked out his pond and suggested things for him to do before fish came into his life . He had bought fish from petsmart and walmart and they all died now they don't sell fish anymore here and then he went to pond store and bought fish (they died ). Poor guy lived with empty pond for 2 years .(Even frogs did not like the pond , some pond store I won't name in NC told him he needed to add pond salt ) Water test kit a pool thermometer and real filters like stock tank and lava rock filters , pond heater , and aerator . We tested the water before it got too cold and so far fish are doing great that i gave him .Why do some pond stores think these are salt water fish . A pond store should know better .

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't change water?
There's your problem. Most likely.
Old tank syndrome. You'd probably kill your current fish if you did a large water change.
Plants cannot soak up all the dangerous substances in the water that build up.
Bring new fish into that invisible soup and they cannot handle it and die.

Either way, test everything, even ph in pond and baggie, temp in both, too. How are you adjusting it to new pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marvolus 3D All of the above. Including the fact that your pond is too small for more than one koi (not kio), since the one koi you do have is a pretty big fella. Koi are big waste producers. What KIND OF FILTRATION do you have?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1642183547125.gif
@Marvolus 3D

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with most of what has been said, especially the advice on where you get your fish from, the LFS’s and pond stores around me the pond fish aren’t the healthiest looking fish, so I never buy from them.

Would follow the given advice and check the water parameters….if you are buying healthy fish(this is very important), acclimate them properly, and your water quality is up to snuff, you shouldn’t have any issues…..personally, wouldn’t worry about water changes, that isn’t an issue on a properly set up pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
1500 gal pond water fall uv filtration all that 1 kio about 23 to 24 inches ph levels are good everything is fine until i try to add new kio to the pond each time i have tried 2 days there dead . Now these are tiny kio im adding a fraction of the big kio size so it cant be oxygen (im thinking )or the big kio would be dead long ago also i put feeder gold fish in the pond first to see how they do and they are still alive as far as i can tell . I dont change water i do add pond bacteria to help keep the alge under control and that blue pond stuff to tent the water but again wouldn’t my big kio suffer if something detrimental was wrong with the pond water or mybe i should stop getting kio from pet smart …idk what do yall think?
Hi and welcome. Good luck with your pond. I’m guessing your water quality is pretty bad and the cute little Koi from Petsmart can’t handle it. I have several goldfish that I got from Petsmart over 10 years ago so I don’t think that’s the problem. Also what do you have against capital letters? Lol

Ask a Question