Unwanted frogs and tadpoles in stream

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new recirculating, large stream. No fish or plants. We live near a natural creek so I hoped the frogs would stay there, which is what the pond company said. However, I’ve been invaded with frogs, like 30-50 in 4 weeks and hundreds of tadpoles are already swimming around. I just want to enjoy the sound of the running water.
Questions:
1. How can I get rid of the frogs in my stream? I can’t keep relocating them. I’ve tried to discourage them with snake repellant but I think this batch needs to be exterminated. Chlorine? Salt?
2. How to I kill the tadpoles? I thought about chlorine but I heard that might harm my liner. What else can I use? Salt?; essential oil?; something else?
3. How can I prevent frogs from re-entering my stream once I get rid of them?
Please be nice. I don’t like killing living things, but this is out of control, and I do not want to attract copperhead snakes that live in this area. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It is going to be impossible to keep frogs out of the stream. Any body of water is going to attract wildlife no matter how close other bodies of water are. You could try salting the pond as frogs may visit then but not stay and shouldn’t lay eggs in the pond. However, salt or chlorine will prevent you from ever putting plants in the stream, without changing out the water.

Hate to say this but if you live near a natural creek snakes in general not just copperheads are around already, you are just not seeing them. As most the time they stay hidden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We live near a natural creek so I hoped the frogs would stay there, which is what the pond company said.

I know you have a serious question, but that's the part that made me LOL. Any experienced, honest pond builder would have told you that adding a body of water to your yard will attract wildlife. Of all kinds.

My first thought is to just wait and see what shakes out if it's only been four weeks. Our experience with our pond is that the frog population will explode and then gradually reduce itself. Frogs eat frogs is basically what I'm saying. And they are territorial hunters - the bigger ones will chase the smaller ones off (if they don't eat them first) or they will realize there's not enough to catch and eat to keep them all satisfied. You can hatch hundreds of tadpoles in a pond, but most will move on.

I can't endorse killing them - they aren't doing anything wrong. But honestly even if you did you'd just get more frogs. You've built an attractive spot for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Are they frogs or toads? I get zillions of toad tad poles in my pond and literally overnight they leave the pond....they don't stay long.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Pgachee Just let them be as they will move on soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Frogs world wide are suffering from a parasite that kills them, carried by man, it’s already depleted complete species in some areas. These are bug killers, they eat the bugs that would otherwise eat you! At least my mosquitos try to eat me alive. Let the tadpoles be, they’ll grow up and move out to eat the bugs, then when you’re sure there’s no frogs or tads, salt the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new recirculating, large stream. No fish or plants. We live near a natural creek so I hoped the frogs would stay there, which is what the pond company said. However, I’ve been invaded with frogs, like 30-50 in 4 weeks and hundreds of tadpoles are already swimming around. I just want to enjoy the sound of the running water.
Questions:
1. How can I get rid of the frogs in my stream? I can’t keep relocating them. I’ve tried to discourage them with snake repellant but I think this batch needs to be exterminated. Chlorine? Salt?
2. How to I kill the tadpoles? I thought about chlorine but I heard that might harm my liner. What else can I use? Salt?; essential oil?; something else?
3. How can I prevent frogs from re-entering my stream once I get rid of them?
Please be nice. I don’t like killing living things, but this is out of control, and I do not want to attract copperhead snakes that live in this area. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
I appreciate the responses, but I’m really looking for advice on how to eliminate most of the frogs, as opposed to let them be. I just can’t imagine 200-300 tadpoles turning to frogs in my stream and leaving without depositing another 4,000 eggs. I need to nip this in the bud. Please help with that and letting me know what will be okay to use with my liner. Our underground tank holds about 300 gallons. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am sorry for your trouble and it is quite alright to want things your way. My problem is quite the opposite. I am an oddball with no fear of snakes, you are normal. I also live on a natural creek. I'm building my first pond with a raised bog and must bank part of the bog so that frogs and other amphibians can get in there. I actually want them lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get thousands of frog eggs, hundreds if not more tad poles, very seldom see them after they become tads. Adult frogs see a few now and then.

They will move on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I understand your distress, but I do think you are worrying for no reason. Nature has a way of balancing things out. There would be no purpose for all those frogs to live in one place - there wouldn't be enough food to support them all, and they instinctively know that. I would encourage you, again, to wait it out and see what happens.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here is a list of chemicals and epdm compatibility. Looks like salt is the safest bet for your liner, chlorine not so much.

Thanks to the late Meyer Jordan for posting this years ago.

Attachments

• EPDM chemical compatibilities.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 126
Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with others that nature has it’s own way of dealing with things, sometimes not pretty. You have a valid concern however it will be addressed naturally without your assistance although it may take a bit of time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One thing frogs do not like is STRONG WATER CURRENT, increase your streams water flow and you will end your frog invasion without killing them

Ask a Question