Unwanted visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Went to clean clean my pond this morning...netting out some muck...I have a nice big rock that's kind of an island that I set on to clean the pond...my daughter sets there a lot to play in the pond as well...anyway this morning as I lowered the net into the water to scoop up my first net of much I caught my first glimpse of my unwanted visitor....a copperhead.... unfortunately he was too fast to get a pic of...and he has way too many holes to hide in...any ideas of how to get rid of him

Attachments

• 15933592090175025901074366078234.jpg
    15933592090175025901074366078234.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We had a snake last year and we were able to catch him in the skimmer. I don't have any experience trying to catch one in the pond. I've seen You Tube videos of snake traps using an egg as bait. The trap has to be carefully positioned so as to not drown the snake.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for your reply....gonna start youtubing the snake traps...I'm not interested in killing it...just want it gone...think I'm gonna look a pond skimmers too....thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see you meant like a net skimmer...I got one of those...if I could just lure it out from under my waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a lot for your reply....gonna start youtubing the snake traps...I'm not interested in killing it...just want it gone...think I'm gonna look a pond skimmers too....thank you
Are you sure it was a copperhead? There are snakes that look like twins, but are actually harmless.
Pretty sure ...I'm pretty versed on snake identification...I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks and still reside there today...grew up on the rivers and lakes and in the woods hunting and fishing with my dad

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty sure ...I'm pretty versed on snake identification...I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks and still reside there today...grew up on the rivers and lakes and in the woods hunting and fishing with my dad
If I end up getting a pic of it I'll post it

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are you sure it was a copperhead? There are snakes that look like twins, but are actually harmless.

That was my first thought. David Steen on twitter I.D.'s a lot of suspected copperheads that often turn out to be water snakes or something else.

any ideas of how to get rid of him

I don't have any suggestion in terms of catching it safely, but if food and shelter is plentiful, you will likely see them again. If you can eliminate the food and shelter they find in your yard, it might move on naturally and they might also become less likely to return.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was my first thought. David Steen on twitter I.D.'s a lot of suspected copperheads that often turn out to be water snakes or something else.

I don't have any suggestion in terms of catching it safely, but if food and shelter is plentiful, you will likely see them again. If you can eliminate the food and shelter they find in your yard, it might move on naturally and they might also become less likely to return.
....food in shelter would be the pond...5 years and this is the first snake...I'm just gonna take it as a good challenge...to try to trap a snake...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
King snakes! You need more snake eating snakes, and as king cobras require a license, and probably shouldn’t be let loose just to eat other snakes, I’d go walk the woods herping for a few large king snakes. As you grew up in the ozarks, you know how to deal with copperheads and cotton mouths, they are best dead. I’m fine with other snakes, just not those two! However, should you fail to remove it, you may see about contacting a local nuisance trapper. It may cost, but worth it in my opinion, as I enjoy time spent in my pond.

Ask a Question