Unwanted Visitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a raised garden pond L6ft x W5ft x D4ft and its all nice and rosey, water clear Koi (8) are happy. However, I have some unwanted visitors in the pond, how they got there I have no idea. All I know, is that they breed like rabbits. I think I have identified them as being "Mosquito Fish", they grow to about 1.5 - 2in in length and as said breed like rabbits. The small fry are quiet easy to catch. But the adults (laden with Eggs) are another matter. I had around 100+ in the pond, managed to get them down to about 50. But they have bred again and so their numbers are back up.

The adults are just too fast to catch with a net. So, I was wondering if there is a predator I can put in the pond to take care of them ? The Koi are about 6-7inces in length and don't appear to be the slightest bit interested in these "Mosquito Fish" as I was hoping they might eat the fry. But, it does not look like it.

Any advise please ?

Thanks

Mike

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Minnow Trap.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Very interesting information! I had originally thought I'd get a few of these to start the ammonia cycle when I do my pond. I was thinking their name also implied that they would be good at eating mosquitoes. Maybe I should re-think this?

Ask a Question