Unwell Newt... possibly bitten

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 8a/b
Country
Germany
Hi, Here is my newt:

It's about 8cm long. The pic doesn't show, but it looks like flesh wounds under the white fluff. All other pond critters appear to be happy and healthy, the newts are quite lively. I am presuming the injuries are inflicted by a bird and are now infected with some sort of fungal thing???

For now, I have put the newt in a tub, with a rock, and found some dead flies around the house, popped them in too, for food. (Not killed with spray!) and the water is salted 1/2 tsp in a litre, as I found online would be advisable. It has perked up a lot, but it has trouble with balance, going belly up, and sometimes just hangs in the water. I have put it in a shady place, and just planning to leave it be, to see if it perks up, and can overcome it's injuries. If not, at least it is seperate from the other pondlife...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and Welcome to the forum , Idoubt very much any of us will know about newt health on this site but I do know a lady in Canada who just loves her newts and could most probably help you she's called Isobel Berlanger and I have alott of respect for her knowledge about newts and their health issues .
Here is a link into her website I hope and pray that weve caught this in time :-

http://newt150.tripod.com/index2.shtml

Let us know how he gets on please :)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that! Will look into it, Dave. Very kind of you!
Not a problem if she cant help you I know you can link into other amphibian forums from her website but speed is of the essence on this you dont want to get the fungus any further over its body otherwise you may loose the battle to save it

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear. Are you going to treat your pond to prevent the other newts from getting this?

Ask a Question