sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had one of each and for some reason when I looked at how they both worked down flow filter seemed to be doing a better job .They both were exactly the same size with the same amount of pump flow ,but notice the up flow one was not cleaning as well .I noticed the waterfall rocks were dirtier and had more algae than the down flow one .I did give them both a year .When I would clean the muck from the bottom of the down flow one there was more and the up flow one had less and filters were cleaner but water coming out had more fine dirt in it compared to the down flow .You would really have to see them working .I changed both filters to down flow and now pond stays cleaner .I guess really it will be up to you .I tried both figured if one did not work the other would and I could see for myself what happened ,no harm in trying both .

Reaction score
probably about the same but i would think down flow is more work when cleaning and you can have an flush drain for an upflow

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm lazy I clean mine with a dirty water pump ,i just plug it in and hose the media off ,fast and easy .I just leave the pump in the bottom and when I need to use it I just plug it in .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I like to see the mucky water drain out of the bottom of my filters
It makes me feel like I'm doing something

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like to see the mucky water drain out of the bottom of my filters
It makes me feel like I'm doing something

lol dr case! visual is good, gives you that satisfied feeling

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a drain but problem is that I scrape my knuckles on the concrete retaining wall block when I try to turn it .Since retaining wall block only has a certain distance you can spread it out with out it being a problem with the balance of it ,it was all the space I could give myself .So the knuckles are saved and the tank gets clean .I do pump it out most times into a bucket and then water it down to add to my flower beds .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm currently building a two-barrel filter; the first is an up-flow with a bottom drain for cleaning, then the filtered water is piped to the second one, which will be a trickle tower contained inside the second barrel. I figure that should just about cover it.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I think of a trickle tower ,I just think of a down flow filter as it is close to the same thing .On your down flow are you going to use lava rock or something else .I just love my lava rock ,but wish it was real lava rock and not clinkers ,I still have not figure out how garden centers get away with calling it lava rock ,but oh well ,real lava rock is not cheap .I have seen several real lava rock filters and they really work nice and real lava rock is a lot lighter .I have some a friend sent me from Hawaii and i love it and hope the lava rock fairy will send me more .Hope you post pics haro .Hey did you ever get your rock moved .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The difference, Sissy, is that a downflow filter is full of water, whereas a TT has a drain in the bottom so the water runs back into the pond, and so the barrel contains only a stack of wet media, with little or no standing water in the bottom. Current plan is to use Bio-Balls, contained in a plastic mesh cylinder about 12" across, so there is air around the tower. The rock now sits beside the pond, where it will most likely stay!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
duh brain freeze ,senior moment call. My mind was lost ,no comment on that part .My mind wonders around and gets lost once in awhile .How will you hide the tank .Probably dumb question but seem these filter ideas are always hard to hide unless you hide them a distance from the pond and run a pipe back to the pond .I hate my filters now and looking to make them hold plants so they look better .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
They WILL be away from the pond, probably with a fence of some sort to make them less obvious.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hmmm wonder what he is hiding behind that fence ,lets peek and see

Ask a Question