Up turn Tail

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Just noticed one of my koi has a tail that is turning upward. No one else seems effected and this is the first of this kind for me. My question is will this fish get worse and should I quarantine the fish now?? Functions fine and eats good. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @ChefTim!

More information would be helpful. How many fish in this pond, what type of fish, how many gallons is the pond, how old is the pond, what type of filtration do you have, do you test your water and if so what are the parameters? Any information you can provide will make the answers you get much more helpful. Also, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words - can you get a photo of the fish in question?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Thanks for the fast response. I have checked water perimeters and they are as follows. PH-7.0, Ammonia 0.15, Nitrite 0.0, Phosphate 10.0..Damn..Did not check this one before. I have no plants in water and do water changes every 1 to 2 weeks. About 15 percent. Just been topping off but doing a change in a few minutes as well as checking tap water. Ideas for low light plants for pond?? This is a 600 gallon cattle tub with around 15 fish. Only 3 go above 12 inches. Most 6 to 12. I have pass over filters one made and one Matala tub with all the filters. 1200 GPH. Big air pump..Praziquantel used 2 times a year. No problems since since Aqua Prazi. Did just go through a big algae bloom..Been cleaning it. Ideas for cleaner fish also. Water temp between 65 to 69.

Attachments

• 0218190654.jpg
    0218190654.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 0218190655.jpg
    0218190655.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 0218190655a.jpg
    0218190655a.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 0218190655b.jpg
    0218190655b.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 0218190706.jpg
    0218190706.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome ChefTim,
That looks like a condition known as lordosis.
I would review the quality of the food you are feeding the fish.
Maintaining high water quality would certainly help, also test for KH, GH and nitrates plus add a plant filter in your plumbing setup.
I'm not a fan of water changes and think medication should only be used in quarantine tanks, so my methods might not align with yours.
You can't go wrong in becoming an expert in water quality, but doing what it takes to maintain high water quality will certainly benefit your fish.
This article can help you with more information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Great article and will be changing the food. Looks to be the only one. I was taught the water change 38 years ago and do believe it is good if you check your water. My city water did have a low level of phosphate. Hard too. 13 to 14..but a perfect pond may not need it. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You're welcome.:)
I've also been keeping fish for a while, 45 years.
I've learned that the most important part of a fish's immune system is the mucous covering on their body, and that the fish benefits the most from stable healthy water parameters. Every time the water is changed, the fish's body undergoes stress in order to adjust to a different ionic balance between the water they live in and their body.
I like to focus on healthy water; bacterial levels, organic matter, mineral composition of the water, water movement and gas exchange.
A person should have a measurable reason for changing the water and understand the implications.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm glad you responded quickly and throughly @ChefTim ! That's the best way to get help here.

I wonder if you're a bit overstocked - 600 gallons is small for fish that size, and your problems will only grow as the fish do.

When you say "cleaner fish" are you asking if there are fish that are cleaner to keep? I was confused by that part!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where are you located? If it’s somepl warm, you could upgrade to a bigger tank add lots of plants and try fresh water shrimp. Don’t do a pleco, the common algae eater fish, as they only eat algae as small fish, they move on to plants once bigger, some even scavenge dead fish. My algae eater just decimated my lillys. I was trying to get them started early for spring!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everybody. I do plan on moving over the 1000 gallon mark in next few months and the love of koi has me on the boarder of overcrowding. As far as the lordiosis I read it is from birth..correct me needed. This one fish was part of a 2 fish purchase and so far the only one I have had do this. I am adding plants into the system this week and wanted to know if anyone has used fresh water clams in a system?? I do water changes every 1 to 2 weeks. Keeps them happy but more water does too...https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/181/?aid=181

Ask a Question