Update to last post with picture of sturgeon

Reaction score
Sorry everyone. Still trying to figure everything out. Here is a picture of the sturgeon.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 271

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking fish. Add your replies to your start up thread, makes it easier for us to follow along. We get confused if too many threads about the same thing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and don't know much about those fish but heard they were scaleless i think.There is a farm that raises them here for there eggs ,caviar

Reaction score
He is about 15-18", is my guess. Is he going to grow a lot? Because if he is, I know I will have to find a better home for him. But I love him. I named him Pantera (I wanted to call him Panther, but my husband didn't like that name, so Pantera sounded kinda close to me). He actually lets me pet him, and tonight, he even let me wrap my hand around him and stroke him for about 30 seconds before he slowly swam away. I thought maybe because the water is so cold (52 degrees), maybe he like my body heat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They keep them under shade covers here because they don't like heat or to much sun .They pull the there fish because fish as there is know way to tell males from females until they do an ultra sound to see if they have eggs or not and then they harvest the eggs .It was an interesting visit to the farm .I went there this year with my sister .yes a real ultra sound machine like they use on people

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sturgeon get huge. There are different kinds, but most get large and the ones we have in Lake Michigan can get to 5' or 6' long. I'm really surprised to see one in a little backyard pond. I can't imagine why your pond guys gave him to you, or why they'd even have live sturgeon.

I don't know the laws on Sturgeon, especially not in CA, but if they are illegal in your area, it may be very important that you contact someone like Department of Natural Resources or the equivalent of that and tell them exactly what happened so you don't get in trouble and they can look into why someone has given you one. I know the sturgeon around here are only one level above endangered status and there is a large process going to keep the species going.

You have a fantastic pond though! Really nice looking!

Reaction score
Methuselah would have been a great name!

I cannot discern what species that fish is from the picture. They may have different colorations depending upon their environment. I would need to examine it up close and measure the length of the barbels (whiskers) and fins, etc. and then compare those measurements to a guide.

Gordy

Ask a Question