Updated Basement Pond Thread

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Not that anybody gives a crap, but I thought I would do an updated thread on my basement pond setup.
006.JPG

white barrel is for keeping dechlorinated, and acclimated water on hand...
blue tubs are some of my quarantine / hospital tubs.
003.JPG

the larger of the 2 tubs has a 14" DOITSU SANKE in it. she jumped out of the net. while catching her for a client. got lodged between the rough textured basement wall and the plywood that my filter sits on. took a nice chuck out of her side, but is making a nice re covery. the smaller tub has some 1&1/2" fry.
the "pipe thru the wall" here is the flush assembly for my filter...
004.JPG

dumping into the sump pump vault....
005.JPG
drawn by

the DIY skimmer is pulled by a 265gph pump...thru 3 layers of varied density eggcrate foams for fines / DOC removal.its then pulled thru a mesh bag of about10 lbs of zeolite. I have 3 bags set and the alternate every couple weeks. when not in use they are soaking in a strong saltwater solution to rejuvenate them. the water then flows thru a U.V for pathogen and parasite control, from there, its venturied and returned to the bottom of the pond.
009.JPG
008.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have it all down to a science koiguy. I'm amazed by it all and how nice and neatly organized it all is and you are a man..............how can this be

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Brings back a lot of memories; being originally from N.J. a lot goes on in basements with fish hobbies. The guy that got my dad interested raised his Koi in a very like manner. We met him with a net in his hand catching Daphnia (water fleas), in a local lake, to feed his young fish.
Like most in the never ending hobby, he also had his basement full of tanks. That was 60 years ago.

Reaction score
I am sorry but for first thread, I am going to get off the subject you started this post with. Are you still making the rubbermaid weirs?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Very cool, @koiguy1969. It's like Batman's bat cave or Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. Perhaps you're a fishy super hero or mad scientist. Maybe both? (y)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ADDED A SAND FILTER. sand removed and filled with virgin polyethelene bead stock.
001 (3).JPG
001.JPG

pump to polybeads to 55gal upflow, and back to pond.

Ask a Question