Updating my leaking waterfall & brook renovation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I couldn't get my original thread to accept pics so I'm starting a new one with the link below to the original thread;

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/spring-feed-waterfall-and-brook.16454/

2017 brook & bridge.jpg 2017 brook & waterfall.jpg
2017 brook & bridge.jpg
2017 brook & waterfall.jpg

In the deeper area the waterfall discharges into I formed a reinforced 3" thick concrete liner inside mortared stones walls and floor. I coated the fresh concrete with Xypex concrete sealer. Didn't do anything to seal the waterfall except spray foam in the larger voids left by jack hammering off 40+ years of calcified growth. All the rounded stones are loose and next year I'll replace them with mortared flat stones to better hide the concrete liner and provide a more cascading effect at the waterfall.

We replaced the paver patio with stamped concrete and during that renovation I added a French drain that parallels the waterfall/brook and 2 foot deeper. It daylights about 15 feet downhill from the patio. Sorry I didn't get better pictures of the waterfall.

At the brook I demo'd everything, reestablished the correct fall, added a stamped sand base, underlayment and epdm liner. On top of the liner I added flat stones to create a cascading effect and filled in to the larger border stones with river rock.

Adding the concrete shell reduced the size of the deeper section but it was the only practical way I came up with to create a reasonably watertight pool. The french drain is insurance as I don't doubt the axiom that all concrete cracks. By this being a free-flowing spring, adding the waterfall by-pass piping and discharging it downhill from the patio makes it much easier to clean and winterize.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh sounds like you have been a busy bee .It sure is a pretty outcome

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing pictures of the completed project. Love to see success!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Jdeitern, do you recall the vendor of the bridge and cost? Is it a five footer?

Here's the link, I paid around $1500 with about $300 of that shipping. I did a custom bridge, a combination of the railing from the bridge pictured in the link and their "FWWBDR0408 - 4' x 8' Double Rail Pedestrian Trail Bridge" . I dealt with Mike Donaldson a pleasure to work with. The bridge in the link is more of a lightweight decorative deal, the pedestrian bridge is a much more robust design which I need as this is the main access to the patio.

And thanks to everyone for their kind comments, it was a pretty big job as it also involved the patio remodel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
O
Here's the link, I paid around $1500 with about $300 of that shipping. I did a custom bridge, a combination of the railing from the bridge pictured in the link and their "FWWBDR0408 - 4' x 8' Double Rail Pedestrian Trail Bridge" . I dealt with Mike Donaldson a pleasure to work with. The bridge in the link is more of a lightweight decorative deal, the pedestrian bridge is a much more robust design which I need as this is the main access to the patio.

And thanks to everyone for their kind comments, it was a pretty big job as it also involved the patio remodel.
Oops forgot the link
http://www.designerbridges.com/red-cedar-eden-12-picket-rail-bridge/1840/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just built my own 100 dollars worth of wood and screws and a metal frame under it to support more weight .

Ask a Question