Upgrading existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
So iv'e decided to upgrade our existing pond at the moment its pretty small ( approx 250 Gallons )., and were looking on making it approx 8 x8 x 2.,well that 8 x 8 is the space i have to work in, ( by looking at the picture the length of the lattice then following it down to the bamboo stick on the bottom left of the picture ).
The bio filter will be positioned towards the top right of the photo.
Will be ordering the 15 x 15 EPDM liner later on today .
Any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
pond 2.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I figured the pond is not going to be exactly square, and its going to have some ledges in there, so basing it on that i just used the size 8 x 8 which is the room we have to work with.
Then used one of them pond calculators and came up with a 15 x 15 liner. If im correct the `5 x 15 liner would give me approx 1 ft + around the edges, would i need more ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I figured the pond is not going to be exactly square, and its going to have some ledges in there, so basing it on that i just used the size 8 x 8 which is the room we have to work with.
Then used one of them pond calculators and came up with a 15 x 15 liner. If im correct the `5 x 15 liner would give me approx 1 ft + around the edges, would i need more ?
8ft + 2 x 2ft = 12 ft. If you dug a box you would have 18 inches extra per side. Considering that you will dig on somewhat of an angle, you should have a little more than that. Shelves don't really affect things either way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I came across that problem this summer with us being in South Carolina, it gets pretty hot.. with the current pond only being about 1 ft, i ended up buying one of them "sail shades", worked pretty well,, kept the pond cooler.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I even had to make a hoop house over my pond years ago .The sun really can heat up the water fast and my pond is just over 4 feet deep .With the sun the plants absorb the water really fast .Have you thought about how you will build the filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure of the best depth for you but in the Midwest it's recommended 4-5 ft deep so there is warmer water in the winter and cooler water in the summer in the bottom of the pond. If you can swing it i would go one foot deeper. It will make the pond and fish a lot easier to care for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
According to the liner calculator,, even if i put in 8x8x3 it still gives me the size of 15 x 15 liner.. which was the one i was going for..

Ask a Question