Upgrading Skippy - water pressure/flow issues (skippy overflowing :-( )

Reaction score
Hi all! This is our first year with our pond, and it's been a long project, but so beautiful! Anyway, I had originally started out with a 3 gallon skippy filter (our pond is not very large, just a preformed above ground pond) and after finally getting plants, fish, and turtles all in it and adding a stronger pump for the filter/waterfall, I realized that the 3 gallon skippy was just kind of pathetic lol. I'm working on upgrading the skippy to 32 gallons now. The smaller skippy was set up as a sealed container, so the pressure of the pump was able to push the water through just fine. Now I'm using a 32 gallon trash can. Without sealing it, I've learned that the gravity return to the pond is definately not carrying the same flow rate that the pump is pushing into the skippy. The pump I have is a 500gph pool pump and I'm using 1 inch pvc plumbing throughout because that's about the same size as the inlet/outlets to the pump. All of the plumbing to the pond has been somewhat burried and flowers planted above it, so I was hoping someone might have a creative idea as to how I can solve this problem, otherwise the skippy just overflows while it's pumping. I'm hoping to find a way to solve this without digging up all of the plumbing, but I just really don't know. Not to mention that the only way I can run the pump to continue aerating the water is through bypassing the filter entirely, which I'm really not comfy with. I hope this all makes sense, but I can take some pictures if it helps?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't suppose there's any chance I could use a 2" outlet with a reducer to keep the existing 1" line to the pond?
No you would still have the water flowing through 1 inch pipe. Could you add another line coming out of the filter, manage to bury it. This way you would not need to dig up the original plumbing, just use it with the new line. They make the black flexible pvc lines, you maybe able to hide it easier.

Reaction score
You can put a valve on the inlet side to adjust the flow going into the filter but you really should have a bigger outlet pipe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
what about add another outflow line?

Ask a Question