Upgrading to Koi pond - Advice?

Pants

Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I currently have a small pond, maybe 800 gallons and I want to upgrade to a large koi pond with a bigger, louder waterfall.
I'm thinking in the 10,000 gallon neighborhood with a small island for wild ducks. The ducks look silly in my current pond.

Auto fill, UV light and a gas water heater are on my list. I am also thinking about a waterfall that has two pumps, so I can turn up the volume when I am out there.

There will be a covered sitting area and a heater so I can get 3.5 seasons out of it.

This is my current pond:

unnamed.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, that will be a good sized koi pond! You'll want bottom drains and excellent filtration. Some koi keeper with large ponds, have "filter pits". completely devoted to housing their equipment...it's not inexpensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The island would be a problem to build. You don't need two pumps for a loud waterfall you need height.

Reaction score
I wanted an island myself. Let me know how you do yours incase I decide to build another pond. My thought was just to buy a massive liner, dig the hole, leaving an island, think moat and cover the whole thing, including the 'island' with liner then just stage it with rocks plants grass etc. Unfortunately, my pond ideas are generally bad ones and as such, I have visible liner all around my pond. Don't listen to me. LOL

A peninsula might be a better idea after I actually read what my idea was. LOL.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You will really need a great filter system for the ducks .A hotel I stayed at had koi and ducks and there filter system costs 40 thousand dollars with the pumps and it was all inside a building by itself .The building was heated and cooled and well insulated to keep down noise .I was amazed at there set up .I wish i had my camera at the time .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

Curious where you are located as our pond is only off for 3 month out of the year at the most. The other 9 months we enjoy the sound and watching everything grow and change.

Ducks are fun to look at until they start knocking rocks into the water, pooping everywhere (causing algae blooms) and scuba diving to the bottom just to lay eggs (how else did the eggs get there)

Pants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks for the welcome.
I registered a while back and did some reading. Now that I am serious about upgrading I am back.

The island would be a problem to build. You don't need two pumps for a loud waterfall you need height.

I did not give enough details.
I want one pump running just enough to keep the water clean and possibly a second pump to make the waterfall have more volume of water.

The height and the volume make for how noisy it is. Noisy is good for me.

Gas water heater?

MMMMMMMyes. Gas is cheaper than electric. I run my waterfall all year long.

Pants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in the Denver area. I have a good amount of space.
(I just looked down and saw a "upgrading pond in CO" oops, should have searched)

The ducks would be wild. They sometimes lay eggs next to my pond, but none have hatched. I thought with a small island they could actually raise a brace. That would be pretty cool.

I was thinking about a 3 foot diameter island or so.

I do not have the time to do this myself, I'll be writing checks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I questioned the heater because of it's high initial and ongoing expense.
That is a significant investment and if this is your first pond with a heater you should really research whether or not it's really needed.
A lot depends on your location, budget, whether your pond is covered and what type of koi you are going to keep.
We have 1 member here that has successfully kept the same koi for more than 20 years with no heater, water temperature at 33F during the winter, here in Canada.

Down below in my signature is a pond heat loss calculator if you need to figure out what size heater you are going to need.

Pants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I posted a picture of my pond.
I am zone 5.
I'll look over the article.

The initial cost of a gas heater does not scare me.
I am interested in the waterfall running during the coldest parts of the winter.

Pants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Wow, that will be a good sized koi pond! You'll want bottom drains and excellent filtration. Some koi keeper with large ponds, have "filter pits". completely devoted to housing their equipment...it's not inexpensive.

I have room and could hide it behind the waterfall.
I will look into this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just don't want to see an instance where a contractor takes advantage of the situation, selling you something you don't need.
If you are going to have an open heated pond during the winter, you will have significant evaporation. I'm not familiar with your climate, but topping off a pond in freezing temperatures will come with it's own challenges.
Lots of people run waterfalls during the winter without the aid of a heater.

Pants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I haven't even talked to a contractor yet.
If I did not heat my current pond, it would freeze completely.

I currently top off my pond by running the hose. I have to disconnect it when I am done and make sure the water runs out of it.
I top it off once a week or so in the winter and about 5-6 times a week in the Summer.

Ask a Question