Urgent Questions for a Deck Structural Expert or Person in the Know

Reaction score
I'm not an EXPERT but do have good knowledge of building codes (I am a General Contractor and drafter - draw blueprints) ... What is your question with decks?

Reaction score
Generally, treated lumber 2X6's make up the frame, 2X12's if you want extra strength. I'd place the joists every 18" and use the proper screws that are special for treated lumber, it can eat regular screws. I just put my framework on blocks and use a shingle as a shim to make it level, the sheer weight of it will hold it in place. I'm sure theres tons of info on the net.

Reaction score
Wow, I guess codes can REALLY vary. I was expecting some differences throughout different areas, but the building inspector here would NEVER allow 2x6s, PT or not ... joist hangers 12" on center too ... we are also required to use nothing less than a 10" wide, by 4' deep footing ...

Reaction score
Haro hit the nail on the head (sorry about the pun). If you are concerned about the structural integrity of your deck, get it inspected by a professional that knows local building standards.

As part of my purchasing due diligence, I personally view the property file prior to going “unconditional” (the point of no return here in NZ). More often than not most purchases are straight forward but if there are unpermitted structures or “blemishes” that need correcting, it is reflected in my final purchase price.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Seems as though I have troddened into the world of Big Brother's code compliance. Since my endeavor originates from the "flying by the seat of your pants" rebellious DIY zone it is surely prudent that I not seek unsanctioned counsel. Thanks to one and all for responding.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Here in Ontario, there are not only laws regarding the underpinnings of a deck, but also railing height and spacing. The higher the deck off the ground, the higher the railing has to be. Spacing must be close enough to prevent a child's head from getting caught in between, something like 4 or 4 1/2 inches apart. The inspectors are actually more particular when it comes to decks than they are with houses!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used all the metal brackets and hurricane ties on mine and for the roof i used the water proof membrane .It is not all require here but building over code is much better .I always use the rule code plus .I want it to last .They told me i could use 4x4 's I used 6x6 's .They told me they could be 12 feet apart i placed them 8 ft apart .They told me footings could be 18 inches and i went 36 and they told me I did not need the anchors for the post to the cement .I used them .I need pee wee spacing on my deck haro .I had to run a length of chicken wire across the deck pee wee height :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also attached my pickets inside as i saw to many where kids kick the pickets or push on them and they break loose and kids fall off .Never under stood that out side picket attachment as I just looks stupid

Attachments

• pond 2012 033.JPG
    pond 2012 033.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 2012 009.JPG
    2012 009.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 2012 022.JPG
    2012 022.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 249

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Our 16x20 deck was our first project when we built our house. Labor day weekend my father, hubby and I worked for 2 1/2 days to build this deck (it's 12' off the ground). No inspectors but built way over code for 1989. We planned on resurfacing it this year as the 2x6 pressure treated deck boards are starting to rot. Also wanted to replace the railing (pickets on outside) and coming loose. Called Lowes and they sent someone right over. Seems they don't do repairs, just complete rebuilds for fear of being sued for adding on to someone elses work. SO- they are 3rd on the list of companies coming in to do remodeling in the next 2 months. Learning it's just easier to let someone else do the labor. $350. for the permit!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
permit for front porch was ten dollars and when lady said it i had to ask her to repeat that . :LOL: Back decks here you need no permit if they are less than 3 ft off the ground .I built both my back decks and the front porch on the guest house with my sons help .Deck kit was 295 dollars for 16 x20 and other kit was 12x14 and that costs 149 dollars but that was 9 years ago .Lumber yard where i bought the kits has since went out of business .They gave you everything screws ,nails, metal brackets and all the pressure treated wood and the plans .Took us a week .They gave discounts also if you bought more than one kit .i bought 3 kits .I miss them ,I wanted a couple of there other kits they had .They had everything from arbors to sheds .My shed turned guest house was there basic kit and then I took it from there insulation ,windows ,drywall ,electric and water .

Ask a Question