Urgent! something eating my lilies

Reaction score
Last year something was eating my lily pads and never found out what it was. Now the same thing is starting to happen. The lily pads are being eaten before they even reach the top of the water and the big ones that do reach the top are ate all around the edges. The small ones sometimes only the veins and base of pad are left. I looked for signs of China moth and see nothing. I don't have koi only fantail goldfish. I have seen what I think are small apple snails and on the back of one pad what appears to be tiny hard seed like things that I think are tiny pond snails. Could this be the culprit? It seems hard to believe that these tiny things could do this much damage not to mention only finding them on one pad. Any advice would be appreciate, im redy to give up on the lilies after only a year.

Reaction score
Interesting. I have two lilies. One is a tough green leaf. The other is a more tender looking purple leaf. Something is wrong with my purple leaf one. Not sure what is munching it, must be the fish or the snails. Very few leaves left on it. I'm moving it to my stock tank tomorrow, hoping to save it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@marsha This is interesting, because before yesterday I'd never heard of the China Moth and the only damage I was finding was where the little pond snails were snacking on my lilies. But a few days ago I starting noticing the little "leaf-burritos" with larva inside -- fish got a nice little snack, LOL!

Here is a thread I started yesterday.... https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/what-is-eating-my-water-lilies.15362/#post-236173

First of all, I want to ask if you've had problems with those before [since you knew to look for them]?

And, have you solved your original problem? Was it goldfish?

Ask a Question