Used Stock Tank

Reaction score
I may have the opportunity to get a used 70 gal Rubbermaid stock tank. Problem is, it used to be used for a salt water mini reef tank, as a sump. I had always heard that it was not a good idea to take a glass saltwater tank and re-use it for freshwater fish. Maybe due to the silicone ? Think this would also be the rule to abide by with using this stock tank, as a a skippy filter, for my pond ?

Reaction score
Since these stock tanks come in different sizes, does the size of the PVC tubing remain at the same 1.5 in size for all size of tanks ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can use any size you want up to 1&1/2, just make sure the outlet is 2" or bigger. i used 1&1/2" on my inlet so the water fow in the sediment area would slow down and allow for better settlement of debris (solids). thats one advantage over the drums..the increased area of the bottom allows for better settling

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
you can use any size you want up to 1&1/2, just make sure the outlet is 2" or bigger. i used 1&1/2" on my inlet so the water fow in the sediment area would slow down and allow for better settlement of debris (solids). thats one advantage over the drums..the increased area of the bottom allows for better settling

Ok, so your opposing elbow outlets at the bottom of the upside down “T” were 2 in ? Meaning, your upside down “T” was 1.5 inches from inlet to the elbows, where then, the elbows were 2 in ? (1.5 into the elbows but 2 in out of the elbow) if that makes sense.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the two inchers are the ones sticking up from the floor of the tank they just support the plumbing(all 1&1/2" pipe and fittings) the plumbing runs thru them like a hinge. check out "my 70 gallon skippy filter" in the diy forum. the outlet i referred to was the outlet returning to the pond. my outlet is a 10" waterfall weir, but most people have a 2" pipe outlet. and i made one other change the top elbow is swapped with TEE to loose the syphon effect if my pump ever looses power or stops for any reason.

Ask a Question